Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: curiosity question

If there was a company out there now that made all metal machines like the antique singers, would you think they are better or worse than the new, mostly plastic, machines? Would you buy one, or would you buy the new machines instead?

Lynette

I own a 1953 singer myself and love it also there are reproduction singer featherweights out there but ive heard that they arent like the originals

Banned
    i like a computer in the machine that i use for piecing and then the machine that i use for quilting on a frame i prefer it to be light weight.

so if a metal machine came on the market that had a computer and was light weight i would buy it over the plastic parts that are on the market today.

I have a couple of the newer Berninas -- they are all metal on the inside as well as having metal bobbins. With hard plastic on the outside, that keeps them light enough that even I can move them around with little trouble. I think it was a good compromise for me. But if you have an older all metal machine and it works, I sure wouldn't get rid of it!!

I have 5 older machines(70's,50's and 30's) and 2 fairly new elnas, one is computerized, other than that, I would buy an all metal machine if it was well make and not like the new Singers.

I would buy a newer metal machine if available. I have a new Janome and I love it but it can't sew the crazy things I sew. I have a 72 Kenmore that is a workhorse. It's done everything from sheer fabrics to 4 layers of vinyl. I just finished a tonot (?) cover for the pickup....That old machine sewed just fine...the Janome couldn't handle fabrics that heavy.

I have three all metal Pfaffs. I bartered a newer "plastic fantastic" machine for fabric. I definitely prefer the old school machines over the new ones--if I'm going to embroider, I'm going to do it by hand anyway.

Blog Entries
    I wish the new machines of today had the perfect stitch of a vintage all metal Singer.

I have a Pfaff that is about 30 years old that I love. My sis also has an older Pfaff. They are both work horses. She got a new machine and quilting frame. We have had more problems with that machine than our old ones. She also has a featherweight that sews like a dream. My mom had a slant-a-matic singer that was a workhorse.

I have had all metal Singer and now I have a plastic Singer. Of course the new one has more features. But as far as the material they are made of I can see no difference.

I have several old machines, I have one new one I bought for the special stitches. Old ones are great for everything, plastic for light stuff only :D

I have 3 old machines, and two newer ones. If it was of good quality I would consider it, but at this point, I love my machines(The older ones) I have one that I almost never have to adjust tension, it almost always sews a perfect stitch.

I have a Brother machine that is probably 60 years old. I inherited it from my Grandmother when she passed away in 1993. My dad says Grandma had that machine as long as he can remember and he is 61.
    I love it, but sometimes wish I had more stitch selection. All is does is forward and back.
    I love my machine, they don't make them like they used to!
    Rose Hall

My 930 Bernina is all metal and don't know if I would ever find a machine as good. Same with Singer Featherweight.

The only problem with the Bernina it is the weight of a boat anchor, LOL.

I agree with Loretta! It ain't gonna happen! BUT, I would if it were available, IF I needed a new machine, which I don't as the old ones are running very well, Thank you very much! :lol: :lol:

I love all the extras the new machines have especially the longer throat area.
    It would be nice to own an old antique machine but would not really use it.

Anytime a machine uses plastic parts, those parts will fail long before a metal part doing the same job. Vintage machines are still running strong providing they got a little oil and some basic care. They are still doing the jobs they were designed to do. I have a Featherweight that was made over 50 years ago. It still works perfectly and is a joy to sew on. The items that need to be replaced on those type of machines is usually the wiring because after 50 or 60 years it gets brittle.

Still, I prefer to sew on my newer computerized sewing machine for most projects because it offers me a lot of options that could not accomplished with my Featherweight. However, when I looked for this machine, the quality of the mechanical parts played a large role in my decision making.

Blog Entries
    I have a 1260 Bernina, and a 730E. When I bought the 1260, the dealer said he was still servicing 25 year old Berninas at the Covent Garden (London) Opera House costume department, and they were good for double that. He said that just taking off the casing on modern plastic machines and then replacing them after servicing got more difficult after several services, as by then, he couldn't tighten up the screws any more. I have both my Berninas set up and use both equally. The 1260 is good for quick work, as I don't have to wait for it to boot up, so I wouldn't trade it in when I bought the 730E.

i don't think you can compare them. it's like trying to compare a scissor to an electric hedge trimmer. one only does one or two things, so MAYBE it does them better. the other does a hundred things. with so much more to do, the machine can't possibly 'concentrate' on doing one thing. the old ones were very easy to repair also, because there was hardly anything to break, but the new ones have thousands of teeny part + computers, to break down and wear out. they are really two different animals. you have to balance out what you need against what you want and go from there. you can still find metal machines. and you can get fork lifts to move them. i think necchi makes a metal machine.

i have a an old, old singer. i never use it because it's a pain. if you look closely at the line of stitching you can see that the stitches aren't any better than the stitching on my viking, which does everything and weighs much less and can sit on a large tabletop. i think the old ones are cute
    conversation pieces. i never understood the attraction of going back and forth and starting by spinning the flywheel by hand. IMHO :|

EDIT: i learned from my grandmother on an old treadle singer. it fascinated me then and still does. but i don't want to sew with it unless the power goes out. and then i'd rather catch up on sleep.

I to have a 1953 Singer and 1948 feather weight, would not trade them for all the new ones. It sew so true and I like doing my quilting the lod fashion way. If I could get my treadle going I would use it too.

I use my 40 yo Viking Turissa everyday, for everything from quilts to blue jeans to wedding gowns. I can service it, too, when it needs adjustment of any kind.

Right now, I also have the use of a nice new Bernina, and it's fun to play with, but it feels so flimsy compared to my solid old machine. And if it weren't working perfectly, I wouldn't be able to do a thing to fix it. It would have to go to a "professional". :roll: