Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curving Out >

Curving Out

Curving Out

Old 01-31-2017, 11:08 PM

Default Curving Out

Haven't had my machine (Juki 2010-love) for a long time but I was fiddling around making a mug rug today & upon inspection I noticed I was "opening" up or curving at the end of my seams. I know it's operator error but I think my guide might be contributing too. What do you think? & yes I can see all the mistakes too!! Lol
[ATTACH=CONFIG]567232[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]567233[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_8123.jpg   img_8124.jpg  
Old 02-01-2017, 02:11 AM

I have the same machine and love it! Try a 1/4" foot with the guide on the edge. I got mine online. It helps.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:14 AM

It's a common problem regardless of machine. I keep my index finger on the fabric and hold it up against the edge of my foot at the beginning and ending of seams. Helps quite a bit. You could also use a stiletto if you're nervous about your fingers being that close to the needle - just keep downward pressure on your fabrics as well.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:33 AM

You need to keep the fabric headed straight into the needle whether using your fingers or stiletto and keep it straight coming out of the machine.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
It's a common problem regardless of machine. I keep my index finger on the fabric and hold it up against the edge of my foot at the beginning and ending of seams.
This is what I learned to do in a class to stop the straying.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:22 AM

It's a powerful machine, you may simply be going to fast at the end of the piece. Try slowing it down and see if that solves the problem. Like others, I don't think it's the machine.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

As mentioned, this is a common problem. I can't sew without a stiletto. I have a fancy one, but you can try a bamboo skewer or the pointy end of your seam ripper.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:26 AM

This machine comes with a compensating 1/4 inch foot - It works so much better than any other guide in my opinion. Is perfect for the construction of the block in your photo.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:25 AM

I bought the T Guide. It doesn't move (It's screwed in) and I can position for scant quarter inch if I want to.

It's also far longer and no curve like the magnetic one. Means I can use the regular foot with no problem. Have had better luck using it. Disadvantage is getting it on and off.

What I don't like about the compensating foot is it's not marked as to where you would stop to turn a corner as in some binding methods. I did mark mine. I've mostly marked all the feet at 1/4 inch in from needle hole to front of foot.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:18 AM

This has really helped me to sew straight lines -

I cut it so I don't have to remove anything to change bobbins. Had it on for several months now and sure love it, as it also takes care of that little bump from the throat plate that gave me occasional grief.

I can untape the part on the machine and leave the rest taped to the extension table, remove the table and do any maintenance on the machine. Then put the bed back and retape the part on the machine and I'm good to go!

I have it cut very close to the feed dogs, and have not had any feeding problems since putting it on. It's really helped with HST and flying geese too.