Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gentle Curving Question >

Gentle Curving Question

Gentle Curving Question

Old 11-14-2014, 07:16 AM

Default Gentle Curving Question

I'm having major brain fade here - probably because in my mind it's a math issue.

I'm wanting to have a relatively gentle arc of color in my quilt. I plan to use HST's as I want two very different colors to form the curve. Do I want to use larger or smaller block sizes to achieve this? Right now I am toying with (unfinished sizes) 3"; 3.5"; 4". Any hints, clues, suggestions?

DH said to go with the 4" (without knowing my specific question but having seen the EQ layout) but it just seems large to me.

Would appreciate any and all input.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sure you can achieve a gentle arc with 45 degree standard HST alone. You may have to incorporate a few blocks at the angle that is used in the 54-40 or fight block, ala Storm at sea.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Yes, you are not going to get a gentle curve. Take a look at the pattern Storm At Sea and see if that helps you with your design.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:29 PM

I'll look at those and see if I have to go that way. Imagine a 90 degree angle on the left side of the page (qiult) with lines the same length in both dierctions. I was thinking I could make the arc (and it does not need to be a smooth edge/transition) from one point to the other using HST's. Guess I will have to revisit that part.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:37 PM

I don't have the software to do this. What I use is graph paper and some colors and try it out. You can scale the size down to draw one block that you are trying to put together and see if you get the effect you want. I agree that it may be easier with a combinations of angles not just 45 of HSTs.

Add some photos or drawings and we can help more.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

here is a link to a blog with a lovely black and white Storm at Sea. Scroll down a bit. http://betteroffthread.com/
Old 11-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Gay

This seems a bit like a watercolour quilt- on my to-do list when the scraps mount up. I would think it depends on the size of your quilt - the smaller the quilt the smaller hst's I would use. I might help us if you could save and post a jpg of your EQ design. Sounds interesting.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:27 AM

Hopefully here is a relatively quick version of what I have come up with in EQ. My ultimate goal is to have this look like a somewhat 'stylized' softball field. The greens and browns you see here are actually being done in a host of different green and/or brown batiks to give both areas what I hope will be a 'sun-dappled' appearance. If I could get a better arc between first and 3rd bases, that would be my ultimate goal but I can live with the way it is as well. Also trying to determine if I want to use (unfinished) 3"; 3.5" or 4" blocks. Size will be an oversized twin, so there will definitely have to me more grass (green) area than what is shown.

Thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.[ATTACH=CONFIG]499186[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails jillianbmp.bmp