Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
custom quilt might be a problem >

custom quilt might be a problem

custom quilt might be a problem

Old 08-02-2013, 06:08 AM

Buckeye Rose, that is a good idea to make the quilt larger and use the size blocks that will do just that. I will make a note on the printed pattern so when I do make it I can have another option for size. If I make one it would more than likely be made for a charity quilt, I have some RWB fabrics and can make a military quilt or two if it goes together quickly.

Thank you all for the encouraging input and am waiting for the siding to be delivered. I know I have the right to question his 'new' costs. It will cost me the legal fees but will be saving a ton of money in the end, being alone and on monthly income only, must watch the $$.
Jan
Old 08-02-2013, 06:10 AM

The pattern calls for 5-1/2 yards of fabric, including backing. I buy fabrics on sale, about 5-6.00 a yard...I would figure $40 for fabric, $15 for batting, $10 for thread ($65.00 in materials).

This Carpenter's Star is basically 6-1/2" half square triangles and solid squares. Not a difficult quilt to piece and quilt. I would figure 10 hours total time (and that's pretty generous).

$150 to $170 is what I would charge for this quilt (semi custom quilting).

I like these in batiks...and those can be bought on sale for under $7 a yard.

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
I have a request for the quilt on this site http://www.quiltfrog.com/fourhour.html
Colors requested are burgundy, gold and cream, it would be made as directed for the completed size.
What would be the charge for this quilt, I would quilt it with a simple meander pattern.
I do not make custom anything, to put a price on it, please any help is most welcome to see if this is something I really want to take on and do.
I make small scrap quilts for charity and am now at wits end about doing this.

My siding guy is the one who has asked to make it as he saw my quilting machines and fabrics. Just got hit today with the additional amount that will be due him for labor on the job. I do not have the colors he wants, have a throw pillow for fabric matching but not coming up with anything. Really do not want to have to go out and buy the fabrics, a special trip to the city.
I know those that do not make quilts think they are free for the asking.
Help!
Jan
Old 08-02-2013, 06:18 AM

I consider myself a competent quilter, but I'm sorry I don't believe a completed large top in four hours. Just the cutting alone, which has to be exact or the points won't line up, will take some great amount of time. I think $650 is on the low side, but you will ultimately have to decide after you've gotten your materials together. I'm happy making projects for friends and family. Don't know if I'd consider a special request or not, have to wait and see if that ever happens. Good luck to you in your endeavor.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:01 AM

I would start by charging per hour what he charges you. Plus the cost ( the regular retail, any sale,prices are your bonus) of supplies. If my mechanic wanted a quilt, you can better believe I'd be charging $65/ hr.!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

quote him $4,000.00!!! and don't pay him more. He's trying to take you to the cleaners. good luck.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 AM

I usually do custom quilts only for family. But when it is outside the family I would be sure to get money up front and an amount I am comfortable with. It makes a difference if I WANT to make the pattern requested or if it is going to be a chore. I'm not in a business, but enjoy picking up jobs on the side. It pays me to do what I love and I can be fairly sure someone will love what I do. I recently did a custom job for a non-quilter that contacted our guild for help. Turns out she had no idea what she was asking and I had no idea what she wanted. We worked together to make an appliqued wedding quilt of her own design. It turned out gorgeous and she paid me handsomely for my efforts. Mostly I wanted to do it because I seen in her a kindred spirit--someone that wanted to do something nice for her kids.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by margecam52 View Post
The pattern calls for 5-1/2 yards of fabric, including backing. I buy fabrics on sale, about 5-6.00 a yard...I would figure $40 for fabric, $15 for batting, $10 for thread ($65.00 in materials).

You may wish to take a look at that pattern link again. The TOP ONLY calls for 5 1/2 yards of fabric, that 2 1/2 yards is for backGROUND fabric not backing.
From the site:
Fabric Supplies:
1 yard of a dark fabric
1 yard of a medium fabric
1 yard of border fabric
2 1/2 yards of background fabric.

Don't forget to add another yarrd for Binding.

Yes, sometimes you can find batiks on sale on line for $5.95 per yard, that is assuming you will find batiks in the exact colors the contractor wanted. Not likely, always best to quote full price fabric costs. If you come in cheaper then pass those savings on to your client. You need to figure in shipping costs and applicable taxes as well. Additionally you are only allowing $10.50 per hour for labor of sewing time only and inclusive of any taxes. What about the hours you will spend on line hunting down the fabrics in just the right shade of gold. What about the time you will spend hunting after that online order comes in and it isn't the right shade of gold?

Assuming you spend no time hunting for fabrics, your labor quote, after taxes... you would be lucky to be making $5 per hour. Even if you don't claim as income it is always wise to take the equivelent of taxes, FICA and SSI and set it aside just in case you are ever caught. (and if you are not that is SSI you will need when you retire)
Stop short changing yourself.

It is always better to over estimate your costs then to underestimate when figuring a commissioned quilt.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 08-02-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
Minimum of $650 to start thinking. However if you don't have the fabric and don't want to go out and buy it... Then that is your answer. You can't do it for any amount of money. Probably about 150 or more for top fabric, 40 for batting, 35 for backing 160 to 200 to quilt plus your labor. If it took 40 hrs at min wage...it might be more than 650
I agree with Holice.... I recently sold a queen size quilt for $750.00. Wasn't sure I wanted to sell it at all, so I told her it would be expensive & she could get one much cheaper at a dept. store. Her reply was....As long as it was under $1000.00 she wanted it to be homemade! Then, they have character and a story. So....I sold it to her !
Old 08-02-2013, 09:19 PM

I am so sorry about your siding bill. Do a straight across trade! I am sure you can make the quilt for less that $4500 and perhaps he would value it as much as you will value your new siding! Keep on keeping on, Jan!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
Hello everyone, called my lawyer this morning and I will not pay anything more than what the original estimate was for. I must get all invoices from contractor and take them to my lawyer next week for him to decide what will be done. I already paid for the extra siding, he did not measure right in the first place. I should not have had to pay anything for that because he screwed up and not my fault. That amount should be put to the original cost of labor. Will return the pillow and tell him I will not make a custom quilt as that is not why I do quilts. And he will not get a free one of any size or colors.
Jan

Good decisions all the way around! I admire you. You have inspired me to make this quilt though, so some good came out of it all.

Dina