Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: custom quilt might be a problem

custom quilt might be a problem

I have a request for the quilt on this site http://www.quiltfrog.com/fourhour.html
    Colors requested are burgundy, gold and cream, it would be made as directed for the completed size.
    What would be the charge for this quilt, I would quilt it with a simple meander pattern.
    I do not make custom anything, to put a price on it, please any help is most welcome to see if this is something I really want to take on and do.
    I make small scrap quilts for charity and am now at wits end about doing this.

My siding guy is the one who has asked to make it as he saw my quilting machines and fabrics. Just got hit today with the additional amount that will be due him for labor on the job. I do not have the colors he wants, have a throw pillow for fabric matching but not coming up with anything. Really do not want to have to go out and buy the fabrics, a special trip to the city.
    I know those that do not make quilts think they are free for the asking.
    Help!
    Jan

Power Poster
    ​Calculate how much fabric, batt, thread, backing etc. you will need to purchase. Get the money up front with the clear understanding that you will also be charging for your time. If he gets over the sticker shock and decides he still wants it, you can proceed.
    I bet he doesn't work for free so why should you?

I would think this thread might have many of your answers ... and give you some questions to consider too!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post6207357
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Banned
    Minimum of $650 to start thinking. However if you don't have the fabric and don't want to go out and buy it... Then that is your answer. You can't do it for any amount of money. Probably about 150 or more for top fabric, 40 for batting, 35 for backing 160 to 200 to quilt plus your labor. If it took 40 hrs at min wage...it might be more than 650
    Last edited by Holice; 07-31-2013 at 12:34 PM.

The site is also a bit deceiving calling this a 4 hour top. I think it would take me longer to make that top in 4 hours. Then add to it the time it takes to prep fabric (I am a prewasher) then get the quilt loaded on the rack and quilt it.

Additionally I would NOT make a special trip to the fabric store for the fabric. I would order on line. But if you are concerned about matching exactly you need to figure for your time to get to the LQS, time spent at the LQS picking the fabs and getting them cut and checking out then travel time home.

Also no telling how spendy matching fabrics will be. 5 1/2 yards for the top. Conservatively estimated at $10 per yard. Then, because I wouldn't want to spend time piecing the backing I would want a wide back so figure 2 yards of 108" wide back fabric at around $16 per yard (usually buy this on line, may be more spendy at an LQS) you are talking over $90 just for fabric (assuming 6% sales tax). Then you need a batting. another $20 (conservatively) $10 for thread used

So JUST your raw materials are conservatively estimated at $120.00.

If this quilt top takes only 4 hours to make (personally I think it will take longer), figure another 4 hours travel and in the shop time for fabric, approximately 4 hours for fabric prep (washing ironing applying sizing if you use it and folding for cutting) and another 6 hours to load it on your rack and quilt it. I don't know how you bind but I bind by hand so that would take me at least another 4 to 5 hours. At minimum wage $7.40 per hour plus self employment taxes (safest to add 50% on to the minimum wage) you are looking at another $255 for labor. So the absolute LEAST I would charge for making this quilt is $455 but I don't work for minimum wage so Holice isn't too far off on that $650. starting point.

You could always order the fabric online. You'll need about 10 yards including backing and binding. Connecting Threads has good quality fabric at about $6/yard, which would help keep the cost down for supplies. The web site says that the quilt top takes about 4-5 hours for most quilters. I would probably double that to include quilting and binding, and maybe add a couple of hours, so say 10-12 hours to make it. Figure a price for your time that you think is okay - for you, not for the buyer - and add in batting, thread - I really don't think this particular quilt would be that expensive, maybe $300-$400 - but that's assuming the fabric is only $6/yard.

I think for a quilt that size $650 would be a fair price. This particular pattern is not as hard because there are no partial or Y seams, but nevertheless it is not a small quilt to make. Also, if you have a long arm the Carpenter Star pattern gives you many option for quilting. You said that he is your siding contractor, so maybe you can trade?

I went to the other thread about charging and as of now I do not want to do custom quilts for anyone. Did some figures and the cost should be at least $220. But those who do not make quilts have no idea on what all must go into one.
    So, NO custom quilts from me.
    Thank you for the input.
    Jan

I have made that quilt top. If all planets are aligned and the quilting fairy is on duty to sprinkle you with the proper amount of sparkle sewing dust, you might finish the quilt top in 4 hours.

Thank you all for your guidance, I have decided NO custom quilt will come from me, ever. The siding guy is another issue to deal with because of a request for $4,523 today for labor, that is on top of what his original contract of $3,000. Already paid half of that but now wants the other large amount.
    So I will work on my own projects and never do a custom quilt. Life keeps trying to trip me up but I don't stay down for long. Well, today was not a good day but tomorrow will be better.
    Jan

Do you have a signed contract or written estimate for the original amount of 3000.00? 4500.00 is quite a paycheck for labor; how many guys have been on the job and for how long? How many sq feet of siding did he install?

Blog Entries
    Sounds like he might be trying to scam you. Maybe you should make the quilt, charge him $650 as suggested, but later present him a bill for another $1,000.00 or so! But on a serious note, I'm with you ... I would not do a quilt for anyone except as a gift. No one but another quilter understands! Blessings!
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    Thank you all for your guidance, I have decided NO custom quilt will come from me, ever. The siding guy is another issue to deal with because of a request for $4,523 today for labor, that is on top of what his original contract of $3,000. Already paid half of that but now wants the other large amount.
    So I will work on my own projects and never do a custom quilt. Life keeps trying to trip me up but I don't stay down for long. Well, today was not a good day but tomorrow will be better.
    Jan
    Oh I've got a plan ... tel MrSidingGuy ... you'd be most happy to do the custom quilt ... in exchange for him keeping to that original contract price!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

If you have a contract with this guy, you shouldn't have to give him any more money! And especially so much more! And if you do give him more, hold it back until the job is completed. The reason you have a contract is so that builders (siders, etc) can't get away with this crap. My brother was a contractor and put an addition on my home for our mother, who was paying for it. He would ask her for money, but fortunately, I had her checkbook and refused to give him anymore until the job was done. Caused some hard feelings, but I knew if he had all the money, I would never see him again! At least as far as the job was concerned.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    Jan
    Be careful paying until the work is finished. I got into that mess once with a contractor who was also a personal friend (I thought). I paid the entire price, then he came back & wanted more because it was taking longer than he thought. I politely showed him the contract, said I had signed in good faith & wouldn't have signed at all if he had quoted the amount he wanted now. He walked off the job, leaving me with my whole house (inside) wrecked. I took pictures, then had to call someone else to finish the job. I had to sue to get my money back from him, but meanwhile I was in a real financial bind for a while.

Blog Entries
    Just got hit today with the additional amount that will be due him for labor on the job
    He wasn't worried about what to charge! LOL. Do some math and see what he charges for his labor per hour.

The quilters in my guild that make quilts for others the charge is 4 x the retail price of all fabrics and supplies used plus the cost of quilting it. Half to be paid upfront, the balance when finished.

DH and I have had learned to call the company in town that has been in business the longest to do what work we need done for the house. We needed new windows we called a window company, new roof we called a roofing company. I would call a siding company. They will have their own installation crews and everything would be in writing up front. Good Luck!
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 08-01-2013 at 04:48 AM.
    Got fabric?

It sounds like you don't want to do this project.If that's true,just say no thank you.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Ditto What Tartan said. If he goffs at the cost, tell him each quilt is constructed of materials needed to be purchased and depending on how far you have to go to get the material charge for shipping. Also Ditto what QuiltE states. Check out the site. absolutely do not forget labor. You do have to measure and cut and construct. I never tell people I gave for free to family and friends I tell them we barter or deduct the cost. Find out his labor costs and charge the same. Show him an invoice for " JAN'S QUILTS". he won't be afraid to show you his. A friend of mine uses a numerical system for invoices like this'; 081-603-19. 081=the year she started quilting, 603= approx. number of quilts she has already made or worked on for different reasons and 19= how many she has charged for them since.

Blog Entries
    Dear farmquilter,
    Wow that was quite a large bill for the labor...how many hours labor was that?
    Can you do a barter? So much off his labor in exchange for a quilt made from fabric
    you already have on hand? At least I would try that BEFORE you pay the rest of the invoice/bill!
    A quilter's labor is valuable too!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Did you have a contract with this guy? Did he give you a quote on paper? My uncle used to hang siding and he always measured because he said that if you measure correctly, your time/labor costs were always included. he took photos, even back in the 80s of the houses. He never had to go back and ask for more money and he was always paid in full at the end of the project. Only a couple of times did he ever have to put a contractor's lien on a property. So is this guy asking for an additional $4523.00? How much work has been done so far? That's pretty steep. Who did the measurements. Did you get any referrals before hiring him? Start taking photos of his work and tell him you would like to drive by some of his past work.

I have a question for anyone who has made that quilt top... I am a novice when it comes to HST.

What size fabric squares do you start with for each HST unit when you're wanting a finished size of 6.5 inches?? I guess you make the triangles and then square them up??

Sorry to "crash" the topic of expenses/ contractors, but I just LOVE that pattern and want to make something like that soon. Well, after the few quilts that are in progress/ planning get finished!
    Last edited by SusanSusan33; 08-01-2013 at 05:38 AM.

Hello everyone, called my lawyer this morning and I will not pay anything more than what the original estimate was for. I must get all invoices from contractor and take them to my lawyer next week for him to decide what will be done. I already paid for the extra siding, he did not measure right in the first place. I should not have had to pay anything for that because he screwed up and not my fault. That amount should be put to the original cost of labor. Will return the pillow and tell him I will not make a custom quilt as that is not why I do quilts. And he will not get a free one of any size or colors.
    Jan

Power Poster
    It was good that you went to visit your lawyer.

Hope things work out fairly for you.

Good for you calling your lawyer. You should not half to pay extra if you already had a contract with him. If he messed up on the job, he is the one that has to eat it not you. Also, glad to hear you will not be making that quilt for him. He is not a good person to have to deal with by what he has already pulled on you.

I would think you might end up having to pay extra for the additional materials, but he made the bid with the labor included for the job. The fact that he misjudged is unfortunate for him but should not have to be your problem to my way of thinking. You accepted the bid as he presented it originally, not as two and a half times more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast