Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Custom quilting >

Custom quilting

Custom quilting

Old 05-13-2016, 12:25 PM

Default Custom quilting

I have three completed quilt tops that are appliqued blocks around an appliqued center panel. I am just finishing hand quilting the fourth top, but because of caregiver responsibilities, won't be able to hand quilt the three. Will it require custom quilting to quilt around each applique, then cross hatch the rest? The border around the center panel needs its own quilting design and to be outlined. I am afraid I have created some expensive custom quilting for myself, but know I don't want a design that stitches over the appliqués.

Last edited by Genden; 05-13-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:32 PM

I think you are correct - but I also think your work probably will be enhanced by the custom quilting. I don't know what people charge in your area - here is it about 3 cents per square inch. I have decided it is more important for my quilts to be finished rather than just have the tops hanging in the closet. I don't regret paying for custom quilting -- I don't think you will either!
Old 05-13-2016, 12:37 PM

i don't regret custom quilting, it creates a bond between you and the quilter & who couldn't use another friend? I do regret not finishing a quilt and they never looks as good unquilted as quilted even if it is not fabulous custom quilting. You wont be sorry. Go for it!
Old 05-13-2016, 12:52 PM

It does sound like a custom quilting job--but your local LAQ , if they are like those of us that quilt in this area, tend to charge more per square inch based on the density of the quilting--so if your cross hatching was larger and your echoing around the appliques was just one row of stitching and not heavier, then it probably wouldn't cost as much.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:41 PM

Genden, perhaps you can quilt these those 3 by machine?
Old 05-13-2016, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by stitch678 View Post
Genden, perhaps you can quilt these those 3 by machine?
I appreciate your confidence in my abilities. I have no doubt that I could learn to do it. I have always enjoyed taking on challenges. However, I have a Bernina 380 with a small harp. I would have to purchase another machine first of all. Two of the tops are queen size. The real barrier is that I am the caregiver for my husband with advanced Parkinson's, Parkinson's dementia, and Parkinson's psychosis. I would hand quilt, but my time is limited to an hour or two in the morning when he is still asleep. Sorry, this is too much information and I am not looking for sympathy, but I am trying to conserve my resources because I don't know what the future will bring. I was hoping for less expensive options, but because I really want these tops finished and done well, custom quilting is the way to go.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

Genden, sorry for your situation taking up a good part of your time, but your work sounds fantastic and needs the custom quilting. You won't regret it. What you will regret is not having it done for a few dollars more. Go for it!
Old 05-13-2016, 10:31 PM

After the time and effort you have already given these blocks they need to be customn quilted.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:04 PM
Power Poster

Hope you show them to us when they are done!
Old 05-15-2016, 07:43 PM

Our prayers are with you and your husband. I hope that you can finish your quilts with custom work, even if you spread the jobs out over time.