Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cut finger on rotatry cutter >

Cut finger on rotatry cutter

Cut finger on rotatry cutter

Old 05-19-2011, 05:58 AM

When I first started quilting 10 years ago, I didn't pay attention to where my finger was on the ruler and took the blade right into my index finger----that was a LOT of blood! Fortunately, no stitches required and I gained a healthy new respect for that sharp sharp blade!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 AM

Been there, done that! Too many tmes to count. Occupational hazzard,I reckon!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:00 AM

I am just like you. I cut my finger with my rotary cutter after reading time after time of other people doing this you would think I would be more careful. I was trying to cut off the tips of triangles without turning the fabric ! I feel so stupid.
Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
Just cut my finger accidently on the rotary cutter. Even though the cut was slight, I feel so dumb. Anyone else ever done that??
:oops:
Old 05-19-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by maddenkids8
... I called my dentist to ask him if somebody had a cut gum, what would he do. He said there is a medicine to put on to stop the bleeding. I went to see him and came out with a heavily bandaged finger that stopped bleeding. Better than the ER.
God bless dentists! Mine is my go-to guy as well. He diagnosed my herniated disc, put me on prenatal vitamins, and it hasn't hurt a day since.

I can't tell you how reassuring it is to know that the pros have done and still nick themselves on occasion. I was feeling quite the noob.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:18 AM

If I ever cut mine, I'm sure I'll slice the whole thing off. You were lucky you didn't. Ouch!!!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:19 AM

heck yeah! I was holding it still open in my hand while I was moving fabric and nicked my other hand, nice scar too!
don't feel bad , just be more careful in future , and join the quilters who really "wear" their craft LOL
Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

goodness, i think most of us have. those things are sharp!! i cut my thumb, into my nail. it bled for over four hours but by the time I went to the emergency room and sat for another hour it has stopped. they put tons of gause around my finger, no stitches.
i wore a metal finger guard for over a month due to the nerves hurting eveytime i touched something.
now, i had a plastic guard on my long ruler that would have saved me- but i had turned it to the other side without the guard by mistake!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 AM

Yep - and not sure why my pointer finger was sticking out over the ruler... Have become much more aware of my fingers since then. Even though I barely bumped my finger with the blade, it bled good and hard. Scar is gone now, but the one from the iron that I burned myself on the same day is still there nearly 7 months later.

Cheers, K
Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 AM

I was working hard on cutting pieces on day, using my 60mm, had the blade exposed, and ran across my entire hand, hit every finger..... was not too deep, however a little messy. once I got the bleeding stopped, used super glue to seal each cut, worked really great. Now keep a tube in the sewing room.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:42 AM

Go out and treat yourself to a Kai Rotary Cutter. It's the safest cutter on the market. The blade shield is pressure sensitive and automatically covers the blade after every cut. It also has three adjustments - light fabrics, lock, and heavy fabrics and it's ergonomically designed for either right or left-handed people.

Scisssorman