Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cut or tear the fabric.... >

Cut or tear the fabric....

Cut or tear the fabric....

Old 10-20-2010, 11:39 AM

I didn't think so many people prefered tearing. I prefer to tear, especially long pieces, but seems that sales person was a bit out of line with her charging more to cut it! I just don't understand people I guess. I am from the old school where "the customer is always right!" And it was always with a smile :-)
Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM

Same here.
Originally Posted by clem55
No, but I would rather have my fabric torn, at least it is on grain and the little wasted by distortion is less than you might get from bad cuts. I've had fabric cut and ended up losing several inches when I tried straightening it. When I learned sewing, I was taught to tear a inch strip across grain before trying to cut pattern pieces. ZI always do.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:43 PM

Ok, am I the only one who pulls a thread about 1/2 inch from the end and cuts along that gap? I was taught that way back in the time machine and I still do it. It is less damaging than tearing. Time consuming yes but then I usually do it while I'm watching TV.
Back on topic though, I would have walked out without my purchase also when the clerk refused to prepare my fabric the way I wanted it. An extra buck on a yard of fabric is too much!(No I don't ask them to pull a thread).
Old 10-20-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
No, but I would not shop there again.
I agree with her I would never shop there again
Old 10-20-2010, 01:53 PM

Cut "ONLY" for me.
If you "TEAR" I won't pay.
J J
Old 10-20-2010, 01:54 PM

when you own a store, customer service should be your number one concern. In this economy you really want all the $$ you can get and happy people spend more money and come back to spend more.
I would have left the fabric and told her why. $1.00 to cut the fabric thats insane.
I think giving an extra inch should be standard-Im so sick of getting fabric that is screwed up.
Well :p on them, save your cash for a shop that deserves it.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldhag
Ok, am I the only one who pulls a thread about 1/2 inch from the end and cuts along that gap? I was taught that way back in the time machine and I still do it. It is less damaging than tearing. Time consuming yes but then I usually do it while I'm watching TV.
I think that's a great method for cutting long border strips. It's unnecessary for the way I piece, as my accuracy is pretty good just using unwashed fabric. Even if I pre-washed fabric, I would prefer to starch it using my fast method over fiddling to get an exact grainline. I like to use tv time for preparing appliques (freezer paper method). Home ec class way-back-when did teach the pulling-thread method to get a straight grain for clothing construction, but I haven't made clothing in ...ummmm... years......
Old 10-20-2010, 02:18 PM

There are some LQS that do "add" an extra inch or so, just by the way they measure the fabric and depending on how much you get. If I'm in one of those stores, I will usually just buy the amount of fabric I need or want. However, if I'm someplace like JoAnns where they don't add any extra, and I know the fabric was put on the bolt crooked, I will add an extra couple of inches to what I need, to make sure I have enough to use for my project and straighten out the grain.
I do agree that customer service should be a priority, and losing an inch or two of fabric, that you can't "sell" to someone else, while it does add up from bolt to bolt, if you keep your customer happy, they will be back and buy more fabric than you would have "lost" to cutting instead of tearing it.

I think you should write a letter to the owner of the store, and let them know what you think about the employee, and the way you were treated. I would explain to them that the extra inch of fabric, they were going to lose by cutting rather than tearing would have only cost them pennies, as compared to the dollar they wanted to charge you, and they lost a customer that would have spent hundreds of dollars over time and so saving a few cents by tearing cost them more than what they "save" by tearing fabric. $10.99yd/36inches = .30527 That is 30 CENTS an inch or more than likely 15 cents if they mark up fabric 100% I wonder if the owner thinks losing a customer is worth 30 cents.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:43 PM

No shop I've been to here in New England tears their fabric. Believe me, I am trying to get to them all!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Depending on which store they will cut, tear or use scissors. It might also depend on who is helping you. Often they ask if you are ok with it. Tearing tends to be straighter. I prefer tearing but I know what you mean about it puckering a bit. When they tear make sure they tear pulling on side to the top and one to the bottom not side to side. when you use a hot iron with some water you can get it to shrink up to almost normal. I have had way more issues with scissor and rotary cut fabric with it being bowed and side ways.