Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cut or tear the fabric.... >

Cut or tear the fabric....

Cut or tear the fabric....

Old 10-20-2010, 03:11 PM

when i shop at joann's i always add 1/8 yd because they notoriously don't cut it straight.

My experience at the quilting stores is that they do add a couple inches. And i've experienced the bow in the middles when using a rotary cutter - i've had to rethink that too....

I'm not sure i'd like the material to be torn - i do starch my pieces when i cut and put together
Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 AM

Ridiculous business practice - as I always say
"the customer is ALWAYS right". End of story or business will not stay in "business".
Old 10-21-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jodie02b
When I went fabric shopping for the first time I had the nice personal experience from the LQS, I continued on my way to garment district and was taken back with the coldness of the merchants and in shock when they too tore my fabric
Jodie, the garment district will never give you nice services. The way they see it, if you want one or two yards of fabric, you are wasting their time. They cater towards the wholesale. If you ask for 15 yards or a bolt, they will be a little nicer to you. Most of the people cutting have no clue about the fabrics and can not answer the most basic questions. When you go there, you must not expect anything but fabric. They tear it because in many cases they are extra wide bolts and impossible to cut straight. If you go into a silk shop, expect them to cut your fabric on a table and a little more delicately. Still, not nice if you just want a little bit. I know that this may not sound very nice, but in most stores men are doing the cutting and some can barely speak English. I guess this is what to expect in New York City. No matter what I still love visiting the garment district and enjoy the different fabrics that you not normally find at a LQS. I touched a bolt of fabric hat was $500 per yard. (Not a typo). It was the most beautiful brocade.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
No, but I would rather have my fabric torn, at least it is on grain and the little wasted by distortion is less than you might get from bad cuts. I've had fabric cut and ended up losing several inches when I tried straightening it. When I learned sewing, I was taught to tear a inch strip across grain before trying to cut pattern pieces. ZI always do.
I was taught the same thing.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 AM

I guess I prefer cut as opposed to torn. Like people say, we then have to cut the raw edges off on each end. That's a waste. But then again, I hardly use fabrics that require I be right on the mark....you know the type...where it has to line up perfectly or your square might look crooked like houndstooth or plaids.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
No, but I would not shop there again.
I havn't either and if they started tearing the fabric, I would just walk away. Let them take the consequences. If they can't hire a knowledgable person, they don't need my business.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM

Traditional Pastimes here uses her rotary cutter and a ruller to cut the fabric. :)
Old 10-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Oh, my I have never heard of such a thing, how rude, I would
talk to the owner. She won't be in business long that is for sure.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:44 AM

The pros & cons of how they sever the fabric I believe is also a regional preference. The main point I feel is the lack of GOOD CUSTOMER RELATIONS and in this case they failed on all levels. They didi not treat you as a valued customer and the $1 charge is just poor business ethics. Shame on them and the damage they did to their own business may be irreperable.

Shame on them!
Andie
Old 10-21-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by neonparrot
Last week I was in a really nice quilting store, loads of fabrics and things, plus they give dozens of classes. I had picked out a couple bolts of fabric I wanted and the lady proceeded to measure it for me. Then she started to tear the fabric. I told her to stop & I asked why she was tearing it & she said they never cut the fabric. My comment back to her was then I wanted an extra inch or two because when it is torn, the edge is pulled and puckered up, and I have to trim that off with scissors. She said she would not give me the extra inch of fabric, and if I wanted my fabric cut with scissors, I had to pay $1.00 to have it cut, that was their store policy. There was no sign posted anywhere around that this is what they do. When I asked her why I had to pay the extra $1.00 to have it cut, she said it was because it never cuts straight and it would not be an even yard cut for the next customer. I told her never miind, and did not buy the fabric. Have any of you run into this?
It sounds like a quilting shop I've gone to about 45 minutes from where I live. I won't buy fabric from her because she tears it. However, she didn't charge extra to cut it. My local quilt shop owner told me they used to tear it years ago because of the way the threads ran thru the material.