Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutie Frame question >

Cutie Frame question

Cutie Frame question

Old 04-04-2022, 05:15 PM
mkc

FYI - watch FB Marketplace for barely used ones. I've seen several Cutie frames listed each of the past 4 weeks on a couple of the quilting/longarm For Sale groups.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:32 AM

I just got my grace qzone Queen, not the Cutie, but I assume they are similar. Im planning on using a Janome 1600P with the frame. I got mine all assembled and was eager to load a practice quilt when I discovered you need these special fabric leaders to load the quilt onto the frame. These were not included (no surprise). So now I have to order the leader kit ($190) or make my own, which will require extra wide high quality muslin. I dont know if the Cutie has same issue, but you might want to skip to the end of the manual to check it out. You may need to order some additional extras to make it work.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:51 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by EphrataQuilter View Post
I just got my grace qzone Queen, not the Cutie, but I assume they are similar. Im planning on using a Janome 1600P with the frame. I got mine all assembled and was eager to load a practice quilt when I discovered you need these special fabric leaders to load the quilt onto the frame. These were not included
These frames (Cutie and QZone) use clips to hold the quilt to the frame. The Cutie is essentially a table top version of the QZone hoop frame. I responded to your other topic but the clips are supposed to be included with the frame (even the Queen version of the QZone), according to Grace's website.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:59 AM

The Qzone Queen and the Cutie are different in that the Cutie is a hoop style frame and the QZone Queen is a long arm style frame that you attach with leaders and roll.

Watson
Old 05-01-2022, 08:33 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
The Qzone Queen and the Cutie are different in that the Cutie is a hoop style frame and the QZone Queen is a long arm style frame that you attach with leaders and roll.
Actually, Grace Company lists the QZone queen as using quilt clips and side bungie clamps (and not rolling the quilt on the takeup bar as you go) as the standard method, with fabric leaders as an option. So they kind of market the Queen as a convertible frame - clips or leaders with the default being clips.

Grace QZone Queen Frame

Old 11-19-2023, 05:05 PM

Default Moving your Quilt on Cutie Frame

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
In my humble opinion, unless I was strictly going to do baby /toddler/ throws quilts, I wouldn't have one. Simply not enough space on this quilting table to do a bed sized quilt. I suppose you could do a bed quilt by quilting two half's of one separately and then joining them together as a Quilt As You Go style. But how would you get the quilting lines to match up where the half's meet?
When working on a quilt larger than the frame I leave my needle down, unclip and gently slide the quilt over. The quilt machine will move with the quilt so I can position to where I can start again and reclamp the quilt and continue sewing from where I stopped.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by laaddis View Post
When working on a quilt larger than the frame I leave my needle down, unclip and gently slide the quilt over. The quilt machine will move with the quilt so I can position to where I can start again and reclamp the quilt and continue sewing from where I stopped.
Very well described for moving the quilt to reposition. I bought the Cutie after my original post and having been using it with my Juki TL2010 on quilt sizes up to a full sized. I have a king scheduled to start soon I still have to decide on the borders. This fall I was chosen to be one of 100 to test the new version of the Cutie frame the Cutie Breeze. It eliminates the elastic straps that everyone has a love hate relationship with and instead of the underneath handles it has a upper carriage with handles like a longarm. Would be nice to have something larger but space limits me. The quilt pictured is 56 x 64 and I just finished it last week, it took me the week to finish it but I only worked on it for an hour or so a day.

One of the other testers was Chris Machini-Nippert of Rose City Originals he just finished a king size on the Breeze using his Juki TL2010 and has posted his quilting of it on his YouTube page - https://www.youtube.com/@rosecityoriginals.

Also Bonnie Kempe at Quilting On A Thread https://www.youtube.com/@quiltingonathread, she is also administrator for the Cutie Quilters facebook page.
Attached Thumbnails dsc02856-.jpg