Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutter and scissors for gift help >

Cutter and scissors for gift help

Cutter and scissors for gift help

Old 10-26-2011, 12:32 AM

I dont know what to tell you but I am learning from this post - I a in need of good scissors also - keep us posted.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 AM

For our 25th anny DH gave me every style of Gingher made...that was 17 years ago and they are still wonderful! I would go with the duckbill and a good 8".
Old 10-26-2011, 03:00 AM

I love Gingher scissors, I always kept a pair of Gingher snips beside my sewing machine, I also keep a little pair of the embroidery scissors in my sewing basket for when I'm hand sewing. I've had these for a really long time and still depend on them. My DH knows not to touch anything that doesn't have a colored handle.

I'd get a quilter these ones:
8" Gingher scissors
Gingher thread snips
Clover seam ripper
Gingher rotary cutter (from joanns- on sale)
Old 10-26-2011, 03:03 AM

I have Gingher scissors, rotary cutter and nippers. I love them all!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 AM

I really like my Gingher rotary cutter. Got mine on ebay. Brand new still in originsl packaging for a little over $20. There are lots on ebay. Just be aware that Ginghers cutters are definitely right handed or left handed. Be sure you get the right one. I have several Gingher scissors and prefer the black handled light weight ones. The dress maker ones are heavy and are overkill for quilting since I use rotary cutters almost exclusively.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
I have several Gingher scissors and prefer the black handled light weight ones. The dress maker ones are heavy and are overkill for quilting since I use rotary cutters almost exclusively.
Weight of scissors is much more important than brand or price. Most expensive scissors are far too heavy and 'tight' for my hands. I buy really cheap Hobby Lobby scissors and pinking shears. They last as long as any others and on the off-chance something should go wrong, toss them and buy more.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:31 AM

I love Ginghers but there is a new 'kid' that I really like, KAI. There are all sizes and even have lightweight scissors, too. I found several smaller sizes for the intricate applique that McKenna Ryan patterns require. Scissorman.com is the site I got mine at, wonderful scissors.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 AM

I love my Gingher scissors. They are small and have rounded tips. I bought them years ago to cut the backs of large appliqués. They are still very sharp. Years ago the best scissors were Wiss. Does anyone still use them? I have read that KAI are very good scissors. I buy cheap scissors sometimes at JA's and then throw them out when they get dull. I need to find a good scissor sharpener I guess.
Sue
Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
I love Ginghers but there is a new 'kid' that I really like, KAI. There are all sizes and even have lightweight scissors, too. I found several smaller sizes for the intricate applique that McKenna Ryan patterns require. Scissorman.com is the site I got mine at, wonderful scissors.
Ive heard good things about Kai also. Kaiscissors.com says they beat anyones prices plus free shipping. I think Ill get some. Also like the looks of the new Olfa large handled applique scissors. I wonder if they are serrated which I really like.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:13 AM

I was talking more about which style of scissors is most common for quilting tasks.