Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cutter and scissors for gift help

new user
    My mom does quilts all the time and for her birthday I was thinking to get a Gingher rotary cutter, extra blades, and some scissors.

She has a Fiskars rotary cutter already, but I read the Gingher cuts nicer and I like the idea of not having to touch the blades.

I need help with the scissors. Which scissors are most commonly used by quilters that use rotary cutters?

Embroidery?

These?

http://www.amazon.com/Gingher-Knife-...dp/B000UUABE0/

I know her thread snips are cheap and low quality.

Possibly some large scissors for cutting batting?

Basically feeling guilty for using her fabric scissors for other things when I was a kid and looking for 2-3 of the most commonly used scissors that would likely be an upgrade.

Blog Entries
    Love my Gingher scissors :)

I love mine too! I have the size you mentioned and I also have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Gingher-G-8-8-...bxgy_ac_text_b

She will enjoy either one and she'll love them both!

Blog Entries
    I don't know anything about the Gingher cutter, but iI love my Gingher lightweight scissors. They have black plastic handles and are much lighter than all metal ones which is a consideration as we age.

I have the Gingher embroidery scissors and love them for snipping thread and cutting into small corner of applique pieces. Don't know about the cutter

Gingher duckbill embroidery scissors.

Gingher comes in such pretty colors/designs too...

new user
    Is it possible to know which scissors are still made in Germany?

These claim to be made in Italy
    http://www.amazon.com/Gingher-Inch-K...dp/B002PNLY0K/

but I have seen pictures of Germany, Italy and Mexico. Is it luck of the draw or are some models only made in Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Love my Gingher scissors :)
    Me, too! Although I do have 2 pairs of pink-handled Mundial scissors that are wonderful, too.

I would get Ginghers, can't go wrong. I have had mine for years and are still wonderful. I have different sizes of them. The middle size is good all around ones.

Blog Entries
    I dont know what to tell you but I am learning from this post - I a in need of good scissors also - keep us posted.

For our 25th anny DH gave me every style of Gingher made...that was 17 years ago and they are still wonderful! I would go with the duckbill and a good 8".

I love Gingher scissors, I always kept a pair of Gingher snips beside my sewing machine, I also keep a little pair of the embroidery scissors in my sewing basket for when I'm hand sewing. I've had these for a really long time and still depend on them. My DH knows not to touch anything that doesn't have a colored handle.

I'd get a quilter these ones:
    8" Gingher scissors
    Gingher thread snips
    Clover seam ripper
    Gingher rotary cutter (from joanns- on sale)

I have Gingher scissors, rotary cutter and nippers. I love them all!!!

Blog Entries
    I really like my Gingher rotary cutter. Got mine on ebay. Brand new still in originsl packaging for a little over $20. There are lots on ebay. Just be aware that Ginghers cutters are definitely right handed or left handed. Be sure you get the right one. I have several Gingher scissors and prefer the black handled light weight ones. The dress maker ones are heavy and are overkill for quilting since I use rotary cutters almost exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    I have several Gingher scissors and prefer the black handled light weight ones. The dress maker ones are heavy and are overkill for quilting since I use rotary cutters almost exclusively.
    Weight of scissors is much more important than brand or price. Most expensive scissors are far too heavy and 'tight' for my hands. I buy really cheap Hobby Lobby scissors and pinking shears. They last as long as any others and on the off-chance something should go wrong, toss them and buy more.

I love Ginghers but there is a new 'kid' that I really like, KAI. There are all sizes and even have lightweight scissors, too. I found several smaller sizes for the intricate applique that McKenna Ryan patterns require. Scissorman.com is the site I got mine at, wonderful scissors.

I love my Gingher scissors. They are small and have rounded tips. I bought them years ago to cut the backs of large appliqués. They are still very sharp. Years ago the best scissors were Wiss. Does anyone still use them? I have read that KAI are very good scissors. I buy cheap scissors sometimes at JA's and then throw them out when they get dull. I need to find a good scissor sharpener I guess.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiane318
    I love Ginghers but there is a new 'kid' that I really like, KAI. There are all sizes and even have lightweight scissors, too. I found several smaller sizes for the intricate applique that McKenna Ryan patterns require. Scissorman.com is the site I got mine at, wonderful scissors.
    Ive heard good things about Kai also. Kaiscissors.com says they beat anyones prices plus free shipping. I think Ill get some. Also like the looks of the new Olfa large handled applique scissors. I wonder if they are serrated which I really like.

new user
    I was talking more about which style of scissors is most common for quilting tasks.

Blog Entries
    Karen Buckley's new scissors are fantastic for detail and fussy cutting.
    The batting scissors are great. They are worth every cent. I'd pay double if I lost my pair now.

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

I love my gingher scissors, my favorite I think are 4 inches?
    Got a second pair at my guild holiday swap. :)