Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting border strips >

Cutting border strips

Cutting border strips

Old 06-08-2020, 06:40 AM

Default Cutting border strips

I want to cut lengthwise border strips. The fabric is directional and I want the strip to be cut in the same place all the way down the strip. Would appreciate any tips for cutting long strips.
thank you.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:16 AM

When we can, many of prefer to cut our long cuts along the length of the fabric instead of the width because of how the fabric reacts. Just like bias (cut on the diagonal) does some things, length- and width-wise fabric also behave slightly differently from each other.

Some times, like with an actual stripe (especially something like a wide Jinny Beyer design), you've got to fussy cut. Just no other way really around it.

Otherwise I prepare my fabric as I usually do, that is I prewash and press. Instead of folding in the standard manner, I fold the fabric along the selvedge, using it as my guide, including pinning together in the selvedge along the outer edge if necessary. There is usually a point in the folding where instead of folding in half, you go in thirds and call it enough. Smooth everything out neatly, keeping everything as equal and straight as you can. I usually sort of layer the fabric so the folds nest inside each other, that is, the biggest piece is on the bottom, the next side starts in an inch or so, repeat like an accordion.

I will make two cuts (two borders), then refolding the fabric from the other side, do the other two.

If I have to do more than four, again I refold what is left and smooth trim the outer sides and cut from there.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:20 AM

Making sure your fabric is on the straight of the grain before you start cutting length way is the most important thing to do so that the print doesn't start going on an angle. All to frequently we can easily forget this important step before we start cutting a lengthwise piece of fabric. If both of the salvages are lined up start at the outside and make your strips this way you will have a full piece left to the middle that can be used again.
Also be sure to cut a little extra, At least the width of your strips plus 2" if you are mitering the strips.. Have fun doing these strips.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:32 AM

Good point from Juliasb -- sometimes the designs are deliberately printed with a "drift". Be prepared to adjust/fussy cut around that.

Sometimes when we cut our strips we see repeats in the design that weren't so apparent with the full field... sometimes that works in our favor and other times we are rather disappointed.

I like working with stripes, and I was recently putting a border on a quilt using width-wise strips to follow the way the stripes on the pattern were designed. When you were standing back, it looked like you had repeating rows every other row or so, but it turned out each were slightly different, so it really was an 11" or so repeat. Good thing I had plenty of fabric!

I am disappointed when striped fabrics are designed with less than 4 complete units across, and have learned to carefully look at and count wide repeats (whether striped or otherwise like animal units or bouquets or whatever) will give me the completed units I want with seam allowances included.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:53 AM

If you are matching the design, you can lay the first strip onto the fabric in the exact place.Be sure the design is matching on both fabrics and then cut the second, third, or forth strip. Use a marking pen and mark the bottom fabric to show where you should make the cuts.

If you are matching backing fabric allow for the seam allowance. I use 1/2 inch seams when seaming backings.

I also use a sticky note with an arrow to indicate the up or top position of the fabrics. It is easy to get them turned when sewing them. Yes, to cutting on length of fabric. I always cut borders that way. Plus stay stitch around all borders and then press again. Stay stitch around the quilt edges and press again. Then add the borders onto the quilt. Hope that helps.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:21 AM

Thank you for the tips.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes (usually) I will cut a single layer at a time if the design is "important" - that way I can keep a better eye on what is going on.

As Ice Blossom said - many fabrics do have a very subtle stripe/repeat from edge to edge. I became aware of that from a picture on the cover of Quilter's Newsletter. Three of the borders had roses centered in them - the fourth one did not.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

I would chalk a line before doing any cutting. Sometimes the fabric patterns is not printed straight.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:07 AM

Thank you Tartan. I was thinking about doing that.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Every time I cut border fabric lengthwise the border waves no matter how many times I measure for it. I can cut it crosswise and it never waves just sewing it on and cutting it off to fit. Makes no sense but it works for me.