Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting with both hands >

Cutting with both hands

Cutting with both hands

Old 09-29-2013, 01:14 PM

Default Cutting with both hands

I never realized until I was watching Liz Porter that I am very lucky to be able to use my rotary cutter with both hands. I am technically left handed in that I write with my left hand - but I bowl and throw with my right.

It got me wondering if that is just something that is naturally for me - or if I somehow never "learned" one way or the other and it was just luck.

When I cut with scissors it is only my left - but boy is it easier to use either or when using a rotary cutter. I can always put my ruler on the bigger part of the fabric and cut against the ruler...

Can you use both hands? Do you wish you could? Or do you not really notice?
Old 09-29-2013, 01:22 PM
dd

Is that more of a left handed thing? I can make a cut to straighten, if I have to, with my left hand but it's much easier with my right. My mother was left handed but threw a ball with right and, get this, would write on the chalk board with her right hand. How crazy is that? You would think that writing is writing, right?
Old 09-29-2013, 01:31 PM

I am strictly right handed and think I might lose a finger if I tried to cut left handed. Or it wouldn't cut all the way through neatly. You're lucky to be ambidextrous!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:47 PM

Hi,

I am with you! I write left handed, if I HAD to I could get a signature out with my right, but not a great one! I eat with my right hand, bat a ball right handed, I can switch hit in tennis or badminton, bowl right handed, etc. I play bocce ball on a league in the summer and throw right handed, but have been told I step forward like a left hand thrower....hmmm, never noticed that myself.....

Rotary cutting I can do either, usually use my left hand. Scissors I do both again, will have to watch myself now.

Now I am noticing when I am doing things which hand I use! LOL Great to be so versatile isn't it!!

Bev
Old 09-29-2013, 03:04 PM

I am right handed, write that way, cut that way. But I deal cards with my left. And my handwriting is so bad that there is not too much of a difference between my right-handed signature and my left one! LOL! Also, when I started taking cello lessons a few years ago as an adult, I wanted to bow with my left hand and use my right on the neck. My teach said she could not teach me that way, that the bow is usually held with the right hand. So I went with it that way. It was fine, but as first my body kept wanting to me to bow with the left hand. Strange.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

I am not ambidextrous. My sisters are left handed but I am very right handed.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by dd View Post
Is that more of a left handed thing? I can make a cut to straighten, if I have to, with my left hand but it's much easier with my right. My mother was left handed but threw a ball with right and, get this, would write on the chalk board with her right hand. How crazy is that? You would think that writing is writing, right?
I have a friend who writes left handed but can do just about anything left or right handed. She can put a pen or pencil in each hand and write a sentence and the sentence written with her left hand will be an exact mirror image (backwards) to what she has written with her right hand!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 PM

I use my rotary cutter with whichever hand can reach it most easily. It makes no difference to me.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:36 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I have a friend who ...... can put a pen or pencil in each hand and write a sentence and the sentence written with her left hand will be an exact mirror image (backwards) to what she has written with her right hand!!!
I am extremely right hand dominant. But, I have also been able to do this left hand 'stuff' for decades; in fact, the first time I tried to write left-handed as a kid, it was mirror-image and I was dumbfounded.

Still don't understand what that's all about and feel sure it says something not quite "nice" about my brain!

Jan in VA
Old 09-29-2013, 04:40 PM

I might lose a finger if I tried cutting with my left hand! I am not even remotely ambidexterous, LOL.