Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cutting a Disappearing 9 Patch

Cutting a Disappearing 9 Patch

I have been asked to make a quilt for a birthday gift. I want to make the disappearing 9 patch. What size squares should I cut to end up with around a 9 inch block?

A quick Google search for "9in finished disappearing 9 patch block" brought me to this blog which gives a list of starting and finished sizes plus the formula for figuring out what size to cut depending on if you want finished size or starting block.

Seems a 9" block is difficult, so you may want to do 8.5 or 10.

Thanks so much Sephie!

Thanks for the link Sephie, that will come in very handy!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Sephie, that was one of the best, most simplistic, explanations for the original D9P that I have seen.

Just for fun, there are more ideas out there for the a D9P and a D4P and more. http://freequiltpatterns.blogspot.co...patch-and.html

Edited to add: 5 inch charm squares would give you finished 13 inch blocks and would give you a good way to use up some charm packs you might have collected.
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 08-26-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

The site given for determining size of squares to finished size is great. I want to copy it and add to my files. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the link! I've printed the measurements and will keep them in my sewing binder.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Love D 9 P. I would like to make one for my granddaughter.

mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephie View Post
    A quick Google search for "9in finished disappearing 9 patch block" brought me to this blog which gives a list of starting and finished sizes plus the formula for figuring out what size to cut depending on if you want finished size or starting block.

Seems a 9" block is difficult, so you may want to do 8.5 or 10.
    Did I miss the web address for this? Where did you find the chart for the sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Did I miss the web address for this? Where did you find the chart for the sizes?
    Mac, I linked it to the word "this" in my original post I thought it'd be less confusing but perhaps not! Sorry about that. It's this page:

http://raevenfea.com/quilting/disappearing-nine-patch/

mac
    Thanks, Sephie. I really appreciate you letting us know about the chart. Makes it a lot easier to figure out. Math is certainly not my best subject.

I should have known to click on 'this', but in the past if I clicked on a highlighted word, it took me to some advertisement.

Completely understandable. I have an ad blocker installed on my browser to block those kinds of links, so I forget others see those ads on here. Normally if you hover over the word without clicking, it'll show you on the bottom left where it links to. I'll remember to just show the link in the future!