Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting fabric into pieces.......a question >

cutting fabric into pieces.......a question

cutting fabric into pieces.......a question

Old 09-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cflemx12

I am prob asking a stupid question but what is a Project Linus and do you have a certain pattern you use for Charity quilts? :-D
No question is stupid! You can read about Project Linus here. It is an Organization that makes quilts and blankets for children who really need them.
http://projectlinus.org/
Old 09-07-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by GAgal
I think some people cut their fabrics when they get it home to make sure they have enough for their pattern. Some fabrics sell out quickly and sometimes the next bolt doesn't quite have the same coloring. If you don't have a pattern in mind, I don't see any advantage of cutting up the fabric.
Check out Joan Ford's site Scrap Therapy....she was a guest speaker at one of our guild meetings. I learned alot from her.

http://www.scrap-therapy.com/
Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Sue
Originally Posted by GAgal
I think some people cut their fabrics when they get it home to make sure they have enough for their pattern. Some fabrics sell out quickly and sometimes the next bolt doesn't quite have the same coloring. If you don't have a pattern in mind, I don't see any advantage of cutting up the fabric.
Check out Joan Ford's site Scrap Therapy....she was a guest speaker at one of our guild meetings. I learned alot from her.

http://www.scrap-therapy.com/
hmmm...think this might be good for me...will check it out more throughly this afternoon...thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 06:52 AM

It's also called stash-busting.

I have a huge stash of quilt fabric from the 80's & 90's, when I first quilted. (Gave up quilting for about 12-15 years) I mean huge. I have a storage unit 5x10x9' ceilings. FULL to the ceiling. My basement (it is a 1 room basement 12x14 or so) at least 50 boxes. my sewing room 7x12 has a goat path & a large clear sewing area on my 30x60 desk. Stacked nearly to 10' ceiling. my living room has 3 huge bins 2'x2'x4' full of quilt fabric.

all told, easily the equivilant of 250-300 18 gal rubbermaid totes. :shock: What do you reckon that is in yards??? whew.

I was working my fabric for the 1.5 summer stamp swap. I started cutting strips. Once I had a piece of fabric squared up for the 1.5 strips, I just kept going with my June Taylor (slotted) shape cutter until the piece was GONE. I cut inches from 1-2 yards (first number is how many, 2nd is inches) 3, 1.5 for the swaps I was swapping 66 sets of 50, and 2 or 3 more for the strip stash, 3, 2.5; 4, 2; 3-5, 2.5; 3-5, 3; 2-3, 4; 1-2, 5; 1 5.5; 1-2, 6. And that pc of fabric is all stripped. Don't check my math, that was the ratios I was going for.

I love strips, but boggle at the prices for jelly rolls.

I love the scrappy look, but have never done one. I don't throw out scraps, but they are all over the place in different bins. Soon, I will be able to.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
It's also called stash-busting.

I have a huge stash of quilt fabric from the 80's & 90's, when I first quilted. (Gave up quilting for about 12-15 years) I mean huge. I have a storage unit 5x10x9' ceilings. FULL to the ceiling. My basement (it is a 1 room basement 12x14 or so) at least 50 boxes. my sewing room 7x12 has a goat path & a large clear sewing area on my 30x60 desk. Stacked nearly to 10' ceiling. my living room has 3 huge bins 2'x2'x4' full of quilt fabric.

all told, easily the equivilant of 250-300 18 gal rubbermaid totes. :shock: What do you reckon that is in yards??? whew.

I was working my fabric for the 1.5 summer stamp swap. I started cutting strips. Once I had a piece of fabric squared up for the 1.5 strips, I just kept going with my June Taylor (slotted) shape cutter until the piece was GONE. I cut inches from 1-2 yards (first number is how many, 2nd is inches) 3, 1.5 for the swaps I was swapping 66 sets of 50, and 2 or 3 more for the strip stash, 3, 2.5; 4, 2; 3-5, 2.5; 3-5, 3; 2-3, 4; 1-2, 5; 1 5.5; 1-2, 6. And that pc of fabric is all stripped. Don't check my math, that was the ratios I was going for.

I love strips, but boggle at the prices for jelly rolls.

I love the scrappy look, but have never done one. I don't throw out scraps, but they are all over the place in different bins. Soon, I will be able to.
holy cow and you haven't made a scrap quilt yet :!: :!: :!:
Old 09-09-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by joym
I am not new to quilting BUT I tend not to cut my fabric until I am ready to use it in a quilt. I wondered why quilters cut their fabric into strips and squares etc BEFORE they know what they will make. Suppose you need it for a projest?? However, I think I would like to pre cut some of my fabric but not sure in what sizes to cut. How do you all decide what sizes to cut your fabric into???? Thanks for any help with this big move I am about to make :| :|
Like many people here, I cut my leftovers into strips, squares and strings. I also have my scraps organized by size and light vs. dark. I love the scrappy look and have decided that I will not buy new fabric this year. I will work from my stash. Anything less than 1/4 yard is headed for the scrap bins. Larger pieces will be organized by color for other projects.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:40 PM

I have several quilt patterns that are my standbys. D9P, warm wishes and 3 patch plus some basic strippy quilts, rail fence, stuff like that. I make a lot of kids quilts for QFK's.

I don't cut my yardage. But I do cut down all my leftovers from a project less then a fat quarter, and collect scraps from other people.

I've not had a problem with my cut pieces raveling. I keep them in boxes and ziplock bags.

This is what I do with my strips:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-144123-3.htm#3918884

Warm Wishes, http://www.quiltmaker.com/content_do...-crib_size.pdf

3 patch http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...ick-quilt.html