Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Fabric on the Lengthwise Grain >

Cutting Fabric on the Lengthwise Grain

Cutting Fabric on the Lengthwise Grain

Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 AM

I always rip or cut my borders on the lenthwise grain and I believe it gives a more stable edge and less ripling of the quilt when binding is put on. I have a super big cutter, fold and cut. YOU MUST NOT let the ruler slide if you cut. Good luck
Old 10-20-2009, 09:42 AM

By the way, I cut my sashing on the lengthwise grain also. I think it stabilizes the blocks
Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DollyQuilt
How do any of you cut your borders on the lengthwise grain? My quilting instructions say to cut the border on the lengthwise grain because the fabric is a one-way design. Any suggestions sure would be appreciated.
My first response was: with a scissors or rotary cutter - sorry (a little)

All the suggestions given are good.

Sometimes if I have a particularly "fussy" line I'm following, I'll cut one layer at a time - moving the fabric on the mat as necessary.

I tend to get wavy edges when I fold the fabric - as careful as I try to be.

Tearing and then trimming "works" - but if one has a very limited amount of fabric, then I'd probably "cut" the first time.

A lot depends on the design of the print, and how much fabric one has available.

I personally prefer to use the lengthwise grain (parallel to the selvage) for most of my first cuts.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I actually don't fold my fabric when I don't cut across. I measure how much I need and cut that much off the yardage (with a little extra in case of wonkiness). Then I clear my table and using the appropriate ruler, I cut the width I need along the edge until all is cut. I usually don't cut the selvage until my strip is cut so I have to figure the selvage into the strip width. Lastly, I trim the strip to length.

Jeez - that sounds way more complicated than it is.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by alimaui
so, if you are pulling the fabric with both hands, no tug means the lenghtwise grain, am I cutting parallel to my tug or perpendicular?
If your instructions say to "cut on the lengthwise grain" (or something like that), then you will cut the long way/lengthwise. In the case of a scrap, FQ, whatever, use the direction that has no stretch as the lengthwise.

If you are cutting a particular piece/shape of fabric, and one particular edge is to be cut on the lengthwise grain, then you cut that edge as if it is the lengthwise (non-stretchy) grain.

Does this help at all?

Odessa
Old 10-20-2009, 02:42 PM
alimaui

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
so, if you are pulling the fabric with both hands, no tug means the lenghtwise grain, am I cutting parallel to my tug or perpendicular?
If your instructions say to "cut on the lengthwise grain" (or something like that), then you will cut the long way/lengthwise. In the case of a scrap, FQ, whatever, use the direction that has no stretch as the lengthwise.

If you are cutting a particular piece/shape of fabric, and one particular edge is to be cut on the lengthwise grain, then you cut that edge as if it is the lengthwise (non-stretchy) grain.

Does this help at all?

Odessa
Maybe I am just confused on the termnology.

So when you cut selvage to selvage..... Are you physicall cutting the crosswise grain, or are you cutting the lengths grain.?I know this action is called cutting crosswise width of fabric.

I know when you cut parallel to the selvage, you are cutting "lenghtwise grain of fabric. So with this cut are you just cuttng the ccross grain?

I am so confused. I am trying to cut charm squares so no selvage to reference, and I feel like an absolute idiot. I just need to cut the charm square in half (to make a 5x5 square, a 2.5 x 5 square). If I am holding the charm with fingers and thumbs, and I tug, with no give, do I cut parallel to my tug, or perpendicular?

Does it really matter that much?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 PM

Hehttp://quilting.about.com/od/straigh...rders.htm?nl=1

Here is a link also this site has good info sign up for the weekly newsletter. Hope this helps
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Old 10-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Good question!!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Maybe I am just confused on the termnology.

So when you cut selvage to selvage..... Are you physicall cutting the crosswise grain, or are you cutting the lengths grain.?I know this action is called cutting crosswise width of fabric.

I know when you cut parallel to the selvage, you are cutting "lenghtwise grain of fabric. So with this cut are you just cuttng the ccross grain?

I am so confused. I am trying to cut charm squares so no selvage to reference, and I feel like an absolute idiot. I just need to cut the charm square in half (to make a 5x5 square, a 2.5 x 5 square). If I am holding the charm with fingers and thumbs, and I tug, with no give, do I cut parallel to my tug, or perpendicular?

Does it really matter that much?
It won't matter at all for what you are doing!

The lengthwise grain runs with the selvedge; if you are cutting from one cut edge to the other cut edge, parallel to the selvedge (so you are not cuttin through the selvedge), then you are cutting on the lengthwise grain. If you have a piece of fabric with the selvedge on, and you hold the cut edges of the fabric in each hand and tug, this lengthwise grain will have the least stretch in it.

The crosswise grain runs from one selvedge across the fabric to the other selvedge. When you cut from selvedge to selvedge, you are cutting along the crosswise grain. If you hold fabric with a selvedge in each hand and tug, this crosswise grain will have more stretch than the lengthwise grain.