Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting machines - looking for feedback

Blog Entries
    I would like a material cutting machine for christmas and trying to research a few to see which one works best. Do you have a cutting machine??? If so which brand, model and does it work? How costly is it to maintain? Would you buy that same one again or do you have another on your wish list? I do have a cricut but I have never used that for cutting material. Has anyone used it for that? if so what type of cutting blade, press. Does it work well?

I'm interested in this also :) I'm hoping some people posts some thoughts/opinions & recommendations

I have my order in for a Baby Go. I think it is by AccuQuilt. I am interested in the applique cut outs you can make with it. I intend to put fusable on the back of the fabrics before I cut them so that I can make appliques. I am not particularly interested in the strips. There is a woman in my guild who is a dealer and is giving us a 25% discount. I make a lot of Linus quilts. The fusiable appliques will be great for those quilts.

Blog Entries
    I will post links to ones that are mentioned - $209.00 for the AccuQuilt http://www.amazon.com/AccuQuilt-5510.../dp/B0021F62D6 -$139.00 for the Baby Go http://www.accuquilt.com/fabric-cutt...FRpO5QodmFv-iw
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I would like a material cutting machine for christmas and trying to research a few to see which one works best. Do you have a cutting machine??? If so which brand, model and does it work? How costly is it to maintain? Would you buy that same one again or do you have another on your wish list? I do have a cricut but I have never used that for cutting material. Has anyone used it for that? if so what type of cutting blade, press. Does it work well?

I have the GO! I really like it, and I dont think there is ANY maintence on it at all?
    The dies are costly, but I really like the Go alot!

Blog Entries
    I have the Go from Accuquilt. The more I use the Go the more I love it. I don't think the dies are expensive considering I'll get many hundreds of cuts from each one. I use the tumbler die a lot for scrap quilts. I don't do much appliqué so don't have many of the shape dies. I don't use the 6 1/2" die that much at all. The smaller size cuts and strip cuts are the ones I use the most.

Thanks for the information. I too have been looking at them.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I have the Accuquilt GO and really like it. It really saves time - I especially like the strip dies - I use them for borders and bindings as well as piecing. More accurate cuts than using the rotary cutter. There is an Accuquilt yahoo group - I'd suggest you check it out - lots of valuable info there.
    Karen

There are a ton of threads on these if you use the search feature above.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have the Go from Accuquilt. The more I use the Go the more I love it. I don't think the dies are expensive considering I'll get many hundreds of cuts from each one. I use the tumbler die a lot for scrap quilts. I don't do much appliqué so don't have many of the shape dies. I don't use the 6 1/2" die that much at all. The smaller size cuts and strip cuts are the ones I use the most.
    Explain strip cut?What widths?

Blog Entries
    The Accucut site has videos, pictures and all the information about the dies. You can see what a strip die is there.

Is it difficult to keep the fabric straight when cutting strips?

Blog Entries
    Katie
    You don't even move the fabric.
    Watch the video. you lay the fabric onto the die, place the board on top, and roll it through the cutter.

Blog Entries
    I've never had the fabric move once it's on the die going through the machine. The fabric stays on the die the way you put it on. Lots of great videos on You Tube showing the different dies being used. The straight of grain of the fabric is important when cutting strips. The other shapes I pile on fabric anyway it will fit to make die cuts. I don't baby the machine I use it to the max.

I guess it's just me but if a product I want to buy is from a reputable company, I know getting too many opinions from good to bad would stress me out about buying. I buy first and form my own opinion.

I just got this less than two weeks ago. I love it, it is really easy for me to use. If you have any drafting table experience then you shouldn't have a problem.

So far I have used it to square up the blocks on my current project.

It is the Alto's Quiltcut 2, I paid $234.00 (that is with shipping). This is the only cutting system I have. I use my rotary cutter with it and off I go.

I don't need all those fancy shapes, squares, rectangles and strips are fancy enough for me. :)

Alto's Quiltcut 2
    Name:  Attachment-101018.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  31.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    There are a ton of threads on these if you use the search feature above.
    I asked this question a while back and had pages and pages of information and advice. All of it was appreciated. I think it really does boil down to personal preference.
    Do a search and Good luck in your quest.

I have had my accuquilt GO! for about four months and love it- the accuracy is wonderful, and also the speed with which you can cut out a whole quilt! Some people have complained about fabric wastage, but I find with careful placement it is not a problem (not to mention the wastage I was getting with bad rotary cuts!)

The customer service is awesome- one of my dies kind of fell apart while using it for the first time, they sent a brand new one right away, I didn't even have to pay for shipping, and they were very pleasant and helpful. They really seem to stand behind the product.

I had severe carpal tunnel syndrome, and found I could use the machine comfortably even before my surgery!

I have the cricut also but I don't like it to cut fabric with it at all. I don't know if its me or what but it makes a mess.So I just use good old scissors.

Blog Entries
    I have the accuquilt go. It's ok. I don't know if I'd buy it again. I cut a bunch of 6.5" blocks, making sure the grain was correct. Some are about 1/16" off on one side. Probably no worse than if I rotary cut but I want them to be better than rotary cut. I have the 2.5" strip die and it's a tad bit narrow as well (measurements were all with my olfa rulers). I did have to smooth out the fabric doing the strips because it sort of scootched down as it was rolling through but that wasn't a big deal at all. But my biggest issue is that I have a bum elbow and it is really hard for me to crank the Go (this was with 2 layers of regular cotton fabric). I can do it but I pay later with pain in my neck and shoulder (and subsequently, headaches). So I have to pace myself-only a few cuts a day.

I have the small rag die too that I'm planning to use with flannel so I may have dh do all those cuts for me.

Blog Entries
    The turning gets easier when the handle loosens up. I think there is an adjustment on the handle where it attaches. One tip, when you use the rag die place a piece of thin paper over the die before the fabric. It will keep the threads out of the die when cutting all those rag ends. Thin paper will not dull the blades for the rag die. I have used mine with paper to cut over 30 rag quilts for guild and the blades are still as sharp as new. Sorry about your 6 1/2" cuts. I heavy starch my fabric for that die size. For some reason it is the only size that will be off a smidgen for me too.

I have the accuquilt go.It is great!! I will admit that the dies are not cheap,but you can choose which ones you like.

I have the AccuQuilt Studio cutter. I bought it instead of the Go because at the time I had intentions of having a cutting service. If you plan on doing lots of cutting, and want more variety in your selection of dies, I'd opt for the Studio cutter and invest in dies for curved and odd shapes. I've cut 3 Drunkard's Path quilts in the last month and it is so nice not to have to worry about curves, plus the machine cuts up to 10 layers of fabric at a time. Gets a queen size quilt cut so much faster. The only problem is it doesn't sew it for you too!

I used my cricut to cut letters. I ironed the material onto the sticky backed paper and thenmachine apliqued. It worked well for that. I don't imagine it would work for just cutting fabric alone.

I have never used one and think it would be great - good luck

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I have the GO with the die for cutting 2 1/2" strips. It's really accurate and fast. Am looking into buying more dies for "odd shaped" pieces for a sampler quilt.

Sara

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast