Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Mat or Rotary Cutter? >

Cutting Mat or Rotary Cutter?

Cutting Mat or Rotary Cutter?

Old 08-30-2015, 05:01 AM

Try cleaning your rotary cutter.And check to see if your ruler has nicks along the edge.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:29 AM

What brands do ladies own?

I have a green Olfa mat and a white Dritz mat. I use the Olfa mat constantly and the Dritz maybe once a month for one cut! The Dritz does exactly what you're describing. It does not cut the entire length when the blade is sharp and it cuts just fine on the Olfa. I own it...I use it...not going to just throw it out. I've also used numerous different mats at other places over the course of my quilting years and find non-Olfa mats do the same thing.

If/When I needed to buy another mat it would definitely be an Olfa.

Can you turn your mats over and try the other side?

Nan
Old 08-30-2015, 05:31 AM

turn your mat over and try cutting on the other side.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:01 AM

Tried all sorts of mats, grey ones, (fiskars) do not last. blue ones (not sure of Make) terrible.... white ones.....awful

green olfa are the best, but do need to be replaced after a few years....I think after 12 years it has done it's work. However, there are probably spots that can be used. Cut it up and make smaller mats either side would work in some places no doubt.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

I have had my mat for some time 10-11 years. I get the best cuts when I use my kitchen table for a solid surface. No give. I have the 6' long folding table and use it but if I'm going to do a lot of cutting, I go straight to the kitchen table. It's a bit higher anyway.
Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Another thought - what kind of table do you have your mat on? I have a 6' folding table and found that it "gives" a little in the middle and will skip now and then. I have less problems if I put the mat at the end over the legs.

I have had a few brands of mats, but the Olfa lasts years longer. I love the Olfa ergonomic cutters.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

I've tried several brands of mats, but now use only the green Olfa mats. I also clean it by putting it in the tub using warm water and a bit of Dawn. Let soak a few minutes, then scrub with a soft bristle brush. Dry flat.
I use the straight handle Olfa cutters as well. I find both these products are better quality, and work best for me.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Flip your cutting mat over and see if it is a cutting surface you can use then test the new blade you just put in your cutter. Make sure you didn't put two in by mistake. I did that once.

I use Omnigrid mats which are thicker than the Olfa mats. I buy them only online at JAF when they have 50% and free shipping.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:13 AM

I just purchased a two sided fiskars, I'm thrilled. Easy to see with light or dark fabrics just flip it over. And I have always been told to store flat? This one has a hole at the top to hang it up, why didn't I think of that. It also has squares from 2" to 12" that have been very useful.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I buy another one when the new cutting feel is worn off. I don't have a favorite, my new one is my favorite until I buy another.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:34 AM

I used to prefer Olfa, but can't handle the smell of them! Have had a fiskars for several years now. Yellow and green. Works great unless I decide to be really cheap and not change my blade! Works great again after I change it. I use a Martelli ergonomic cutter. At one place where I have a quilt group, they have a purple mat that we use. My cutter does not like that one! Hope you solve it! Ann