Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Mat >

Cutting Mat

Cutting Mat

Old 05-05-2019, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Take a look at some of Donna Jordan's tutorials. She has an exercise weight on her cutting table that she puts on one end of the ruler so it doesn't slip when she's cutting. Good idea!
I second this. I have watched a lot of her videos and now use a 5lb weight at the end of my ruler and it helps a lot. I don’t have any hand/wrist/shoulder issues to keep me from doing this.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:33 AM

I have purchased many rulers and templates and some don't have non-stop slip backing. I purchased clear vinyl grip tape. The kind used for bath tubs. Works Great!
Old 05-05-2019, 05:58 AM

I have a martelli rotary mat---sturdy and stable, rides on ball bearings......all their products are excellent--a little on the pricey side but they last and you can get them when they have their 50% off sales.....I don't know where you are in Florida but they have their store in Florida. I do know it's a big state!!!!
Old 05-05-2019, 06:30 AM

Welcome to the board, Phyllis. I also prefer some grip to my mat. I find the texture of the Olfa mat to be perfect. My fabric doesn't slide around on it during cutting, and the mat grips just enough to make it easy to fold fabric on it.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:45 AM

Welcome to the QB, you’re gonna love it here. I have to agree with the others...it really is about the rulers. I use Quilters Select rulers and find I have more control when cutting. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:54 AM

You get used to what you use. I like my good old Olfa mat. There is also a grey one I like, not sure of the brand. I don't like the shiny white ones, they kill my blades and while I haven't actually hurt myself I feel they are more slippery and therefore dangerous.

Keep in mind that you aren't really supposed to be using the lines on the mat, use the lines on your ruler. I suggest starting by using the unmarked back so you aren't distracted by the lines. What happens if you use the line is your mat wears out and leaves marks where you cut a lot. For the typical right handed person, you straighten your fabric (trim off the edge and unfold it, there should be no deep V at the fold points). With the cut edge towards the left, position your ruler and hold it down with your left hand while cutting with your right. I check at least every other strip to make sure the fold is still straight.

From discussions here on the board and in my small group, I've recently gotten some of the rulers with a grip side. Before when I tried them I liked being able to slide the rulers and/or use both sides and they just didn't work for me. While I can still use my other rulers I have quickly grown to prefer the grip ones. I have a Quilters Rule 6.5x24 and an O'lipfa 12.5" square. Over the years I've found that I make long cuts best when I am standing and my kitchen table is a good height for me. It helps that I can lay out a long piece of fabric and straighten the edge and then turn the corner of the table continue cutting without moving the fabric. Once I cut the long pieces I can make the subcuts while sitting should I choose. A tall friend of mine tried my suggestions and finds she cuts best standing at her kitchen counter.

I did one project that I soon realized I had chosen the exact shade of Olfa Green and it was giving me problems. I devised a quick hack -- simply put a piece of white paper under the cut edge. You are just doing it for contrast so don't need to go too deep or cut through it, I found a business sized envelope was a good size and weight. With my vision issues I find I use this more and more often to get a good crisp line to mark and help me read the ruler correctly.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:27 AM

That's the way I cut also.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:44 AM

Hi "Joe's Mom". I am also a "Joe's Mom" And coincidentally, my "Joe" lives in Ballwin, Mo! So we have a "connection". Thanks for the info on the mat. I've tried several and I think I'm just going to have to use the grippy dots on my ruler. I'm thinking of starting a new quilt and wanted to make sure all my cuts were more accurate this time. Have a great day! -- Phyllis
Old 07-30-2019, 06:58 AM

What a fun coincidence, Phyllis! Have fun on your new quilt!
Old 07-30-2019, 07:01 AM

Hi and welcome from North Carolina!

It seems like you are having trouble keeping the ruler from slipping. I use a 4 pound hand weight (the kind people exercise with) on the ruler to hold it still. Any weight can help... sack of sugar or flour? A large can of beans? ... ??