Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: cutting mat

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    MNM, If it is "frilly" or "Rufflely" I think it is to late. Just my opinion.
    Boy! you got that right but I do like the idea of using it for templates. Thanks all. MNM

Good information, just when I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    help - my cutting mat got all wavy during our move - is there a way to get it back into a flat surface or do I bite the bullet & ante up for a new one?
    I put my distorted cutting mat in my stove oven on about 150-200 degrees, and it turned out like brand new. i left it in the stove about 20 min. may take longer for yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter Marshall
    help - my cutting mat got all wavy during our move - is there a way to get it back into a flat surface or do I bite the bullet & ante up for a new one?
    I put my distorted cutting mat in my stove oven on about 150-200 degrees, and it turned out like brand new. i left it in the stove about 20 min. may take longer for yours.
    I don't think my 59 x 42 mat will fit in mine. LOL

Same with me, but if you need new ones Hancocks of Paducah had the best price by far. Just got my new ones yesterday

Check out a video by Alex Anderson on how to uncurl a cutting mat. I do believe her method does work....only I just don't remember where I saw it...maybe in "Tips".....

My mat got distorted sometime back when I accidentally left it in the back of the car on afternoon. Boy was I cross with myself. Anyway I have tried everything to take the kink (wave) out of one side of it to no avail. Even heated it and left real heavy weights on it but it just wont straighten. Guess I am up for a new mat eventually int he mean time I am still using it.

mac
    When the cutting mats first came out, we all learned the hard way that you canít keep your mats in a sunny window or the car because it would warp. Mine warped as I was traveling to an out-of-town class, what a disappointment!

Since only half the mat was really bad, I cut the mat in half and use the good side by my sewing machine at home. The warped side I turned it into a small cutting mat on one side and an ironing board one the other by gluing the mat down on a piece of plywood with some really strong glue. I keep this with my traveling sewing machine. I made it over twenty years ago now and it is still in use. I like mine way better than the commercial ones out there.

I also had two pieces of plywood cut a little bit bigger than my large cutting mat for when I want to take a larger mat to class. I bought four EXTRA LARGE black binder clips and put one on each side of the two pieces of wood (with the cutting mat in between the boards). Iíve kept this board in my car during the hottest summer days and it hasnít warped yet. The boards keep it flat and safe no matter how hot it gets in the car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    Unfortunately we just had 3 days of nearly 100 degree weather which would have been perfect to lay the mat out, but its cooler today but still sunny so I think I;ll try it anyway. I doubt it will be getting hot again now that it is winter.
    I hope it stays nice and warm. Friend & I are going to Oceanside the 15th to see her sister who also is a quilter. Going to the Sugarplum Craft show while we are there. Also she has a bunch of quilt shops to visit. Yipee!!!
    Well, it is considerable cooler today, and in the low 70's-high 60's next week. Hope it stays clear, though! Where is the Sugarplum Craft show held?

That is such a neat idea Mac, would never have thought of it myself. Thanks for sharing it. Now I just need to remember to buy some plywood next time I am in town. :lol:

Salem mats seem to be the best. I paid a lot of money 30 years ago for mine, and it is still going strong - never out of shape and is self - healing. It is thicker than the other mats and red and white in colour. I have other mats that have been given to me - not as good.

Blog Entries
    I put my mat out in the sun and it straightened out just fine...BUT I live in Arizona!!!! BTW, don't throw away your ruined mats. Cut them up to use as bag bottoms in purses.

I put an old mat in the back of my SUV for quilt camp, but when we got there I didn't need to use it so it stayed in the car for 4 days. Well, needless to say it was hopelessly curled. When I got home & was unloading stuff I just threw that mat out on the patio thinking I would worry with it later. Was I surprised to find it was nice & flat the next day. I still can't figure out why it curled in the heat of the car & uncurled in the heat of the patio. Go figure!

Power Poster
    I went out and bought a new one when this happened to me. Now I know better.

What did you cut the mat with?
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Since you have nothing to lose I heated mine with a hair dryer and put it between 2 heavy flat surfaces. It distorted the cutting lines but I was able to use the mat.
    Later I cut it up and use it for smaller items that need to be squared up. Hope this helps.

Haven't read all of the posts, but I put mine in the sun/hot area with either clamps or heavy books on the bubbled up area and it flattens out nicely.

One time I put rectangle cake pans or really any type of flat container would do and poured boiling water in the pans,I repeated this a couple times till the mat was flat. then placed heavy books on it for a couple of days, that has been a couple years ago and it is still good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    One time I put rectangle cake pans or really any type of flat container would do and poured boiling water in the pans,I repeated this a couple times till the mat was flat. then placed heavy books on it for a couple of days, that has been a couple years ago and it is still good as new.
    I will try this...gosh, but these mats are costly, anything is good to try in order to same cash. It seems that winter and loss of good strong sunlight has arrived.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2