Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting mats--Which 1 do you's have >

Cutting mats--Which 1 do you's have

Cutting mats--Which 1 do you's have

Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I have had my June tailor for quite a while
My first cutting mat was a June Taylor that I only replaced it when it was snapped in half during shipping when I moved back to Oregon from Texas. I bought the current one (24"x24") in 2006 and it is still in very good condition. I use a big pink eraser to get the fibers off of it, and wash it regularly with water and a little dish soap. I have decided that when finances allow, I want a smaller one to use for cutting smaller pieces, and to be able to turn it for easier cutting.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:41 AM

I have four different ones, Olfa large one and a rotary one, Martelli, Horn, and Fons and Porter - I use them all for various cutting.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:29 PM

My Olfa mat has lasted for years. I have never soaked it. You said you scrub it with a wirey scrubber That sounds sort of harsh. Maybe that is part of the problem. I now have a 4x4 cutting table. I had a white mat that was really big from JoAnns. I was not very happy with it. It didn't last very long so I don't recommend that brand. I just bought a new mat from cutting-mats.net. I wanted a big one. Mine is 3x4. So far it is working well. But I have only had it for 6 months.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:34 PM

I have several Olfa mats in varying sizes and have had really good luck with them. Two of the larger ones are over 10 years old and used a lot. I do try to move around where I cut on them so as to not be cutting over and over again in the same spot. I bought a Fiskar brand one that was part of a set of ruler, cutter and mat. I kept it stored in the cardboard package it came in and it warped the first summer I had it. Yes I know it gets hot in Florida but not that hot! It wasn't in the sun at all, stored flat and I didn't treat it any differently than my Olfa mats and never had a problem with them.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

I have 3 Olfa cutting mats, in various sizes, small portable to very large, that are still good after several years of use. I did purchase a mat scrubber several years ago, sorry I don't know from what source, and that seems to do a good job of smoothing out the cuts from the rotary blade, especially after some long hours of cutting fabric.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 PM

I'm on my 2nd Olfa 24X36 cutting matt. The other one just got worn out after many years. Bought a Fiskars to try. It was horrible. Everywhere I cut, it cut through a thin layer of the cutting matt. Once there were more than a few chunks missing, it starting to affect my cutting of fabric by skipping, etc. After a week I took it back to JAF and applied the cost of that one to a brand new Olfa.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Love my Alvin mat that I bought to replace a June Tailor mat. I do not personally recommend the JT mat but others like them. I love my Alvin mat - best thing I have bought myself in a while minus the vintage sewing machines.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Default Cutting mats

Originally Posted by isewman View Post
I have a ??, for all quilters. I will tell you's I have a Olfa cutting mat. But I'm beginning to dislike that mat. It seems after useing it and cutting material over and over. And flipping it over and over. I'm beginning to see the cut marks from my rotary cutter. I do change my blade also. Is there any ideal's, any of yous can give me. My mat is still useable. Is there a better quality mat, I can check into. I do soak it over night, also. Take a scratch(wirey) pad after soaking. To try and get some of the cutting mark's out of the pad. Thank's for any help, everyone. Don-isewman
I have Fiskers reversable and they are just wonderful. I use them often. I work with a charity organization and it is WELL used. I have had mine for about three years and they do not have noticeable marks. And I know I am very heavy with my cuts. Heavy handed. Anyhow, It was the best thing besides the rotary cutter I have bought. They were suggested to me while shopping for the day after thanksgiving sale at Joann's while waiting for my number to be called.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 AM

Sounds like you may be using a dull blade in your Olfa cutter and bearing down too hard. I have those mats and have had them for years and they are still not cut up. If yours is cut up too much, I would just go out and purchase a new one.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:28 PM

Must be the quality of the newer ones. I have one I have used for nearly 15 years, and it is still going strong. I did get a new one recently, but only because I wanted a larger cutting area on my table