Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Mats. >

Cutting Mats.

Cutting Mats.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
I agree with Nancy. I soak mine every 6 months in a tub of warm water. Seems to extend the life quite a bit.
Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
I wipe mine firmly with a very wet cloth after each use. And scrape the surface with a bread bag tag monthly. I like my Fiskars.

I have never heard of getting my Olfa cutting mat wet before. What is the purpose of doing this? I have had my mat for 10+ years and haven't had any problem with it. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 AM

I have Olfa and Martelli. The Olfa seems to wear quicker. My swivel Olfa is only maybe 3 years old and really showing wear.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I have all brands. Fiskars, Olfa, Fons and Porter ( same as Olfa), Polar, Martelli, June Taylor, Brooklyn Revolver. The one I use the most is June Taylor. It's a hard surface mat so the blade doesn't cut in the mat but rolls on top. No cracks for fabric to get stuck in. It's the type of surface industrial plants (gasket making) use. And the mats come in prettier colors then the others. Just my opinion I got from researching the different mats.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Banned

I've always had great luck with Olfa mats. But I am interested in the Martelli's (though I've never heard of them until now) since some of you say they wear much better than other mats. Where did you guys get yours?

And I'd also like to hear what the purpose is of soaking the mats every so often. I know some quilters run a scrubby over their mats to get up the bits of fabric that get stuck in the mat, but this is the first I've read about soaking or wetting the mat. Would love to hear more about this . . .