Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cutting Mats.

Cutting Mats.

My old cutting mat is worn out. So I need to get a new one. Thought I would check with all of you first. Which one do you like best?

Blog Entries
    i love my olfas and won't buy any other brand. i have 3 different sizes. they are definitely worth the price.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I agree with Nancy. I soak mine every 6 months in a tub of warm water. Seems to extend the life quite a bit.

I think I have had very brand out there .. the one that seems to last longest is Olfa. ... Do be forwarded that if the mat you purchase was recently taken out of the box from the manufacture... It will SMELL. They do take awhile to air out before the smell goes away completlely.

I really like Olfa.

I like my Fiskars because of the lines on both sides including 1/8" marks on the edgeand dots at the quarters - to line up my rulers to for cutting and for trimming blocks- but I don't know how long it will last. It is thicker than my Olfa
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

I'm all for the Martelli mat. It has lasted longer than any other mat I've ever used. One friend says she doesn't have to change her rotary blade as often due to using the Martelli mat. I think she is correct.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    I have used my cutting mat for over 15 years and was thinking that I needed to get a new one. Then I saw on a F&P video that you could turn it over and use the other side. Voila! A brand new side. Mine does not have the lines on that side but I never used them that much anyhow as I use my ruler more. Just an idea to maybe give you a bit more life from yours. Mine still had the sticker on the back side which clearly stated that both sides could be used!!
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    I agree with Nancy. I soak mine every 6 months in a tub of warm water. Seems to extend the life quite a bit.
    I wipe mine firmly with a very wet cloth after each use. And scrape the surface with a bread bag tag monthly. I like my Fiskars.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I also use the green Olfas, but my first mat (not sure what brand) was grey with orange lines. I had problems seeing those lines! I don't use the lines for actual measuring (I use the lines on the ruler instead), but I do for rough measuring or for lining up the fabric. Whatever brand you get, be sure you can see the lines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    I wipe mine firmly with a very wet cloth after each use. And scrape the surface with a bread bag tag monthly. I like my Fiskars.

I have never heard of getting my Olfa cutting mat wet before. What is the purpose of doing this? I have had my mat for 10+ years and haven't had any problem with it. Thanks.

I have Olfa and Martelli. The Olfa seems to wear quicker. My swivel Olfa is only maybe 3 years old and really showing wear.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I have all brands. Fiskars, Olfa, Fons and Porter ( same as Olfa), Polar, Martelli, June Taylor, Brooklyn Revolver. The one I use the most is June Taylor. It's a hard surface mat so the blade doesn't cut in the mat but rolls on top. No cracks for fabric to get stuck in. It's the type of surface industrial plants (gasket making) use. And the mats come in prettier colors then the others. Just my opinion I got from researching the different mats.
    Got fabric?

Banned
    I've always had great luck with Olfa mats. But I am interested in the Martelli's (though I've never heard of them until now) since some of you say they wear much better than other mats. Where did you guys get yours?

And I'd also like to hear what the purpose is of soaking the mats every so often. I know some quilters run a scrubby over their mats to get up the bits of fabric that get stuck in the mat, but this is the first I've read about soaking or wetting the mat. Would love to hear more about this . . .