Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting mats >

cutting mats

cutting mats

Old 07-07-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
My husband bought me (at my request) Olfa mats for Christmas. The last one I bought was about five years ago. I am astonished at how thin they are now! They seem not to be as "healing" as they used to be, in my opinion. Mine already have cut marks that won't come out.
Well, I sure am sorry to hear that since my new Olfa cutting mat was just delivered today. (in fact, is is still in the box!)
It is the biggest one I could find. My other mat (don't know the brand) is just full of cuts where I use it the most (in the middle) and I had decided to spend more and get a self healing mat.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:53 PM

I love my two Dritz 30" x 36" thick (1/8") white mats with maroon markings (inches, angles, curves). I've had them for over 20 years with no problems and see that JoAnn is still selling them.

I have a couple of the green Olfa's and they just seem too thin to protect my dining table when I'm bearing down on the rotary cutter, so I never use them.

Last edited by ArtsyOne; 07-07-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

I have all brands of cutting mats. My favorite is June Taylor hard surface mats. The rotary cutter blade rolls on top of the mat and doesn't cut into it so the blade does not dull as fast.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:36 AM

Thank you for all the replies. ArtsOne, I think I will try the Dritz brand. I have never had a mat last more than a few years, although for various reasons, not just wearing out. I bought MegaMat at the Houston show about 3 yrs ago and it has not worn well. Very disappointed in that one. I ruined my Omnigrid by forgetting about it and placing my homemade ironing mat on top of it and ironing away! I have tried unsuccessfully for a week to get the rumples out of it.
I used to have one of June Taylor blue mats, but my dd got glue on it when she was working on costumes for our equestrian drill team. I sent it home with her to finish her boyfriends quilt.

Anyway, I'll be trying the Dritz brand. Thanks again,Gina
Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 PM

ArtsyOne-
I am curious which Jo-Ann's you found the Dritz 30x36 cutting mat. I am in the market for a second for a new sewing table (I LOVE the one I have) and would like another. I have not been able to locate one at my local Jo-Ann's nor have I found one on their mobile site. Any help is appreciated! I am willing to call the store where you found it & have them mail it to me!! Thanks!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 PM

I was just looking at the Alvin mats and found this site that seems really reasonable for one...http://www.cheapjoes.com/cat/6839/
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Imalowlyworm View Post
ArtsyOne-
I am curious which Jo-Ann's you found the Dritz 30x36 cutting mat. I am in the market for a second for a new sewing table (I LOVE the one I have) and would like another. I have not been able to locate one at my local Jo-Ann's nor have I found one on their mobile site. Any help is appreciated! I am willing to call the store where you found it & have them mail it to me!! Thanks!
I just saw them today while shopping at Hancock Fabrics. They were in a box rolled up by the scissors, didn't buy one because I needed a smaller one. You could check their online site if you don't live near a Hancock's (they take Hobby Lobby coupons).