Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting mats >

cutting mats

cutting mats

Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM

Default cutting mats

I am looking to buy a new mat. I have had Omnigrid before. Are the Olfa mats better? Or any other brand? thanks,Gina
Old 07-06-2012, 09:27 AM

before you buy a new mat, try this trick from Fons & Porter, soak your mat in a tub of water it needs to lay flat. Slightly warm water with white vinegar, soak for an hour and brush off with a mushroom brush (or other soft brush). The mat will be like new. I have done this with both Olfla and Omnigrid and it works.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:31 AM

Thanks for that tip! I saw some cutting mats at Hobby Lobby the other day that were not in the quilting section. They were with the compasses and drafting tools. Don't recall the manufacturer name; not one I'd heard of in quilting, but it said they were self-healing and the price was only about $15 for one 16" or 18" x 25". Wonder how that would work?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:07 AM

I have an "Alvin" brand cutting mat I bought on Amazon - seems to work just as well as my smaller Olfa mat! I like it because it is 2 sided - one side black, the other green. I like using the black side for light fabrics - makes it easy to see where my edges are.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
I am looking to buy a new mat. I have had Omnigrid before. Are the Olfa mats better? Or any other brand? thanks,Gina

Next time, I'm probably going to avoid a green mat. I use painter's tape a lot to make spacing and the green and the blue aren't a lot different when viewed thru a ruler, IMO!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM

I have an 6x18 Fiskars that came with my first rotary cutter (which I still haven't found!) and I love it, I got it a Wal*Mart. Someone one on QB a while back had gone to HomeDepot or Lowes and had some large sheet of plastic sheeting cut into various sizes (for free) and she left with several pieces/sizes for a fraction of the cost of the quilting/craft cutting mats.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 AM

I purchased an Alvin cutting mat directly from the manufacturer http://www.cutting-mats.net/self-healing-green.html, great mat, great price and had it in 2 days. It's wonderful, markings are a little different than than olfa but easy enough to get used to. Almost twice as thick as the others.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Next time, I'm probably going to avoid a green mat. I use painter's tape a lot to make spacing and the green and the blue aren't a lot different when viewed thru a ruler, IMO!
Yesterday I had to move to my dining room table to cut fabric (the cutting table in sewing room is filled with debris for the quilt in process.). Anyway, I had to use an old cuttung mat which is blue. In fact, it is the same blue as the fabric I was cutting and also matches the lovely blue of the tape markings on my ruler. I love to make things difficult for myself.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I personally love my green ones. I have a dark gray one (on a turntable kind of deal) & a kind of clear-ish white one (can't remember the brand). I use them but am not as thrilled with them as I am with all of my Olfas.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:16 PM

My husband bought me (at my request) Olfa mats for Christmas. The last one I bought was about five years ago. I am astonished at how thin they are now! They seem not to be as "healing" as they used to be, in my opinion. Mine already have cut marks that won't come out.