Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting mats >

cutting mats

cutting mats

Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 AM

I have white ones, green ones and blue ones. Thankfully, I've never had a smell on any of them, and after many times of cutting, all blades get dull, no matter what mat you use and after a while all mats will get worn out too, just like us.

I go to JoAnn's or AC Moore and buy them when on sale or with a coupon, when I need a new one.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:43 AM

I would never get a non-self healing mat unless I was just using it for measurements not for cutting. When you cut on them they slice into the plastic and ruin them!

Even a self-healing mat over time, if you continue to cut in the same place will eventually wear out (just ask my LQS) as their's gets tons of use. But it take a long time to wear one out.

When you use the discount coupon at JoAnn's, you can get a pretty big one for a decent price.

In MHO, I would get the biggest "Self-Healing Mat" that I could afford! Even if the size is a lot smaller.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:51 AM

I got a june tailor .. tossed it after only 6 months. then got the green Olfa ..... It smelled awful ( like a skunk) . It spent a year in the garage , then I went to International Quilt show and went to the Olfa booth, spoke with one of the reps . they suggested I put it in the tub and soak with vinegar ... that did not help. ( by the way there was a distinct odor in the Olfa booth).
Back to the garage with it ... after about 6 more months it was finally able to be used.
I have two self healing mats the Olfa and a gray one ( not sure of the name, but it does not smell) both perform well , but like anything it does need to be replaced depending on use.
I got a great tip from someone who told me to flip it over and use the other side when the first side is worn. No lines but it works.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I have a "DuraHeal" mat. It's the blue one. It has been wonderful. I think the June Taylor is ok, most of the folks here have the Olfa ones (green and smelly)
What smell? I have a 3 piece large one, 2 24 inches, plus 2 small ones, all except the 3 piece are replacments and I have NEVER had a smell from my green olfa. Could the smell have come from the store where you bought it?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:16 AM

Definately a self healing mat. They are a little more money but well worth it. You get what you pay for. Mine are all Olfa and I have 5. I bought the big one at Jo-an's when I could use a coupon.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:34 AM

I purchased the Olfa mat at Joann's using the 50 percent of coupon. Never noticed a smell and it is self healing. I think it is great.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:43 AM
Banned

I have had a really big green one for over 15 years, Olfa I think, must self heal cause I've never had trouble. It's expensive now.
However, Michaels sells them and with their 40% off coupon(they'll take a Joanns coupon on any item they both sell) it's a good deal.
My Joanns doesn't have the really big one, yours might.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:52 AM

I have tried all of above and half to say Olfa I like the best. Holds fabric in place better, so when cutting especially small pieces, they don't move. Mine is actually in 3 pieces. Total length is about 108" Love IT
Old 06-17-2010, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I have a "DuraHeal" mat. It's the blue one. It has been wonderful. I think the June Taylor is ok, most of the folks here have the Olfa ones (green and smelly)
What smell? I have a 3 piece large one, 2 24 inches, plus 2 small ones, all except the 3 piece are replacments and I have NEVER had a smell from my green olfa. Could the smell have come from the store where you bought it?
The smell was defininely in the mat. The Olfa rep acknoledged that there was a smell. It finally stopped giving off an odor . Not sure if there was a particularly bad batch , but it was BAD.
I think that it was right out of the box and had not had time to "breathe" at all in the store. Even the store said they have issues at times with the smell.
Mine was a very very pronouced smell.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:53 AM

Just an FYI...My Local Joanns is right now having a 50% off on all quilting/cutting supplies. I had intended to purchase the large Ofla mat with my 50% off coupon, but intstead used it on a package of large Olfa blades and got both for 50% off! :-)