Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: cutting mats

here is a question for everyone. I am looking at getting a larger cutting mat and there are tons out there. At Jo Anns there is this June Tailer cutting mat. It doesn't say self healing and it feels like it is just a piece of plastic. I was just wondering if this would be a good one to get or if I should spend the extra money and get one of the self healing mats and which one is probably the best for the money?

GOOD QUESTION,,,,,I'LL BE WAITING TO HEAR WHAT THE OTHERS SAYS.

Please get a self-healing mat. Otherwise, your mat will be cut up and catch on your fabric.

I have a non-self-healing mat from a long time ago. Wouldn't use it for quilting. It looks like it was in a slasher film.

I have a "DuraHeal" mat. It's the blue one. It has been wonderful. I think the June Taylor is ok, most of the folks here have the Olfa ones (green and smelly)

if any of you notice there is a like for a place that sells cutting mats at the bottom and I just went and they don't tell you the price, you can't see the different sizes and you can't even put anything into your cart. it is ****** annoying right now.

I think I have one of those also, it's a foldable one, and it's in sad shape, but I don't know why I keep it. I guess I thought that I could break it into two smaller mats.

I have the DuraHeal also and love it.

Green, gray, blue --- as long as it's self healing it's okay. I have a June Tailor that I use to roll out and cut homemade noodles on, wouldn't dream of using it for fabric because I use mine a lot and I don't think it would hold up.

Blog Entries
    I have the June Taylor blue one and don't like it as much as my self healing mat . I think the blue plastic dulls the rotary blades quicker

Get the self healing. And when you have fuzz stripe use a piece of window screen. Fold in half and rub away. The best is a hone stone to sharpen knives it rubs away everything.

Definitely get the self-healing kind!!

Blog Entries
    get a self healing mat

Blog Entries
    I got mine at Joann's self healing mat and used my coupon or get them when on sale

I got the self healing and I like it. Don't get plastic, it dulls your blades.

I have an old cutting mat that's huge...one of the first ones out. It's more like metal. It's been used 1000s of times. I don't notice that the blades last longer or wear out faster on it. On the other hand, I have two "self-healing" mats that look terrible, have small cuts in them and are losing their markings. If June Tailor mats are like my first one, I'd buy it.

If you are going to buy really large, I'd get a self-healing type mat. I will go further and say that I see a lot of places that use two of the large green Olfa mats side by side. For me, that is kind of self-defeating. I want a dark mat for light material and a light mat for dark. I can't tell you how many times I have miscut when the light is not correct (even with the OTT light). I now have a sign in my sewing room that says do not cut at night. The shadows are just not good for the dark mat.

My advice, is to get two mats, one light and one dark. I haven't heard of any self-healing ones except Olfa. So anyone's suggestions would be really welcome. I really wasn't looking forward to getting that pink one that I saw online (I'm really not the pink kind).

I have a June Taylor mat and use it only for crafting. It dulls my rotary cutter blades, fabric slips on it, and I just don't like it. Please save your money and get a self healing mat. I have an Olfa that I really like.

I think if you go to Joann's on-line, you can get a 50% off coupon.

I have a large Olfa mat that I bought in the mid 90's (white). I never use the markings on the mat anyways, so even though most of they have rubbed off I still use it. It is just the correct width for my table and I can't live without it. I have not noticed if my blades are duller with that over my self healing spinning mat. I would get a new mat just because I want one, but can't find one the same size so I will continue to use what I have. I have also seen the self healing mats that have been used at shops and the 1/2 yard line area has almost been cut through.

Good luck on your search.

Blog Entries
    I have a June Tailor mat. It's ok, but I like the Olfa better. The olfa is reversable and is self healing. The June Tailor mat is not.

I bought the Olfa one a few months ago. I never noticed a bad smell. Guess I was lucky! My old Olfa mat was many years old - I think I got my money's worth out of it.

I have white ones, green ones and blue ones. Thankfully, I've never had a smell on any of them, and after many times of cutting, all blades get dull, no matter what mat you use and after a while all mats will get worn out too, just like us.

I go to JoAnn's or AC Moore and buy them when on sale or with a coupon, when I need a new one.

I would never get a non-self healing mat unless I was just using it for measurements not for cutting. When you cut on them they slice into the plastic and ruin them!

Even a self-healing mat over time, if you continue to cut in the same place will eventually wear out (just ask my LQS) as their's gets tons of use. But it take a long time to wear one out.

When you use the discount coupon at JoAnn's, you can get a pretty big one for a decent price.

In MHO, I would get the biggest "Self-Healing Mat" that I could afford! Even if the size is a lot smaller.

I got a june tailor .. tossed it after only 6 months. then got the green Olfa ..... It smelled awful ( like a skunk) . It spent a year in the garage , then I went to International Quilt show and went to the Olfa booth, spoke with one of the reps . they suggested I put it in the tub and soak with vinegar ... that did not help. ( by the way there was a distinct odor in the Olfa booth).
    Back to the garage with it ... after about 6 more months it was finally able to be used.
    I have two self healing mats the Olfa and a gray one ( not sure of the name, but it does not smell) both perform well , but like anything it does need to be replaced depending on use.
    I got a great tip from someone who told me to flip it over and use the other side when the first side is worn. No lines but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I have a "DuraHeal" mat. It's the blue one. It has been wonderful. I think the June Taylor is ok, most of the folks here have the Olfa ones (green and smelly)
    What smell? I have a 3 piece large one, 2 24 inches, plus 2 small ones, all except the 3 piece are replacments and I have NEVER had a smell from my green olfa. Could the smell have come from the store where you bought it?

Definately a self healing mat. They are a little more money but well worth it. You get what you pay for. Mine are all Olfa and I have 5. I bought the big one at Jo-an's when I could use a coupon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast