Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting scraps question >

cutting scraps question

cutting scraps question

Old 06-02-2013, 04:01 AM

I have been trying out Bonnie Hunter's leaders and enders idea....I am making a lap quilt which calls for 37 WOF 2.5-inch wide strips, so I am stitching small and odd shaped pieces into crumb blocks in between cutting the threads. This is so much fun I have to remind myself to get back to the lap quilt now and then! The next strap project will be patch blocks out of the square pieces already cut up from scraps.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:42 AM

I do not cut up large pieces until ready to use them. If I have odd shaped pieces I don't think I can use as is, I will cut them into 10" squares, 5" squares, 4" squares or 2.5 " strips. If it's a piece I don't like, I will cut it up. Someone said if you don't like it even after you cut it up, you didn't cut it small enough! HA
Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 AM

As I have a specific pattern that uses 2.5" squares, I cut all my fabric scraps. It does seem to take forever but I want to make a scrappy. I have the hubby help while he watches sports to divide them into general colors and then I refine them. Then pack them into a 14 X 14 scrapbook pages container. I don't have a lrge amount of scraps as I only purchase fabric as needed for specific quilts. Will soon need additional box!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]416665[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ok-017.jpg  
Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I would leave the larger pieces intact - until you have an actual use for them.

Why - for example: if the pattern calls for 4.5 inch squares, and my strips are 5.5 inch strips, then I would be wasting an inch, and if the strips are 3.5 inches, then they are too small.
I agree with you - if you have a larger piece, no point in limiting yourself too early. Also would leave you more "wiggle room" should you decide to applique or something like that.

Marysewfun
Old 06-02-2013, 07:47 AM

I would leave intact.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:56 AM

I want to try Bonnie Hunter's Sister's Choice so I've been cutting a lot of 2.5" strips, if it's smaller than that I cut 2" or 1.5", the shorter neutrals I've been trying to cut into 2.5" x 6.5" pieces. And if it's small, then 2.5" squares or 2" squares. Smaller than that goes into a crumb basket. Slightly larger, if I can get 5" squares, fine, if not then smaller squares or strips.

I leave my large pieces whole unless I don't particularly like them, then they're cut down. Most of the quilts I'm interested in right now either use 2" or 2.5" strips, though I am putting aside assorted smaller sized strips for strings.

Last edited by jeaninmaine; 06-02-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:31 AM

I like to square up my scraps but leave them in the biggest piece I can. Experience has taught me if I divide into smaller pieces I will need bigger pieces. I do love my stash.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 AM

You don't need another box- you need to make a quilt. You have plenty pieces to make a beautiful quilt. Can't wait to see it..
Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
As I have a specific pattern that uses 2.5" squares, I cut all my fabric scraps. It does seem to take forever but I want to make a scrappy. I have the hubby help while he watches sports to divide them into general colors and then I refine them. Then pack them into a 14 X 14 scrapbook pages container. I don't have a lrge amount of scraps as I only purchase fabric as needed for specific quilts. Will soon need additional box!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]416665[/ATTACH]
Old 06-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

ditto. but I have cut plenty of 5.5 sq for the I spy I am collecting for my grandson. but I have cut the smaller pcs into 2.5 squares for the scrappy I am doing for a nephew.
Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I don't cut that size piece until I'm ready to start a scrap quilt. Then I know what I'll need.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:08 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I use some of my mother's clothes in each of my daughter's quilt so they hve some of grandma there. love Bonnies thinking!
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Bonnie Hunter uses many thrift store shirts in her quilts. She always says to leave the back section of the shirt whole for big blocks or backing pieces.