Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cutting scraps question

at the foot of the Ouichita Mountains, SE Oklahoma

cutting scraps question

I'm organizing my scraps and (pretty much) using the suggetions garnered from Bonnie Hunter's system as well as that of the person that wrote the "cut the scraps" book.

Pretty much what I'm doing is cutting them into 5 1/2, 3 1/2, 2 1/2- inch long strips, if they are big enough. OR if not, I'm cutting them into the squares suggested by the above ladies.

I have a question for those that do this type of thing. I have several big pieces and I don't know whether to strip them into the 5 1/2 inch strips or leave as is.

For example: one of my pieces measure about 18" by 17". Leave or cut? What would you do and why would you make that decision?

Looking forward to the answers you get on this.
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

Power Poster
    I would leave the larger pieces intact - until you have an actual use for them.

Why - for example: if the pattern calls for 4.5 inch squares, and my strips are 5.5 inch strips, then I would be wasting an inch, and if the strips are 3.5 inches, then they are too small.

I'd leave them intact. Cutting them up limits what you can do with them.

I don't cut that size piece until I'm ready to start a scrap quilt. Then I know what I'll need.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I don't cut that size piece until I'm ready to start a scrap quilt. Then I know what I'll need.
    I agree with Dunster..... I keep sizes about that size in one container and the smaller ones in another. At the end of sewing, I always run a small scrap thru so I don't waste the thread and I don't have to hold onto to the bobbin thread. GOOD LUCK with getting organized!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I leave pieces that large alone util I am ready to use them. I KNOW if I cut them I would want them bigger.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If charm size+ a tail I cut the tail. If it has a tail but I can get a charm or bigger out of it, I cut the tail off. It that tail is long enough for a strip then I put it into the applicable scrap size bin. If the tail is 5" wide then I may put it into a charm bin. A piece 18x 17, I leave intact. You may want that for 9 charms +. I have pieces like that and pin a post it on it with the size.

If it approaches FQ size, I would leave it alone

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    I cram all my scraps in scrap drawers so why am I in this conversation....pure curiosity about organized people
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Me too! I long to be organized but somehow it never happens. It's always on my New Year's resolutions list.
    Molly O

I too would leave the larger piece intact. If it was oddly shaped, say for instance like a huge square, with a smaller square attached, I would cut the smaller square off (perhaps... depends on my mood that day, and if I am cutting with a particular project in mind... for instance, last summer, I cut a HUGE bag of scraps into usable pieces, with a Jacob's ladder quilt in mind...) You sort of have to know what kind a quilter you *are* or think you will *be* lol

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bonnie Hunter uses many thrift store shirts in her quilts. She always says to leave the back section of the shirt whole for big blocks or backing pieces.

I purchased the book scrapetherapy by Joan Ford [Cut The Scraps!] Her method is 2in 3 1/2 and 5in. squares. I really enjoyed the book and looking forward to giving the method a try.

I don't purposely cut scraps into specific sizes until I'm ready to use them.

If they are fairly large I just fold them with the rest of that particular fabric.

If they are 3" or less strips I may put them with other strips of similar width.

The smaller scraps I'm trying to organize into light, medium, dark.
    But right now they are still just a pile. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by sew_Tracy View Post
    I cram all my scraps in scrap drawers so why am I in this conversation....pure curiosity about organized people
    my method too!

Blog Entries
    I am going to start cutting mine into 5 inch squares, Hexagons and a few other shapes. Sizes that I commonly used and easy to stack and look nice. I am sure I will still have a ton left. I also will keep the larger pieces, but till cut into square so that I can neatly stack them. Scraps so easliy get out of control. I find that I use them more when cut into shapes.

I am reading this one out of curiosity since I would never get that organized....I have a huge stash and go in and cut what I need when I need it. I give the scraps to the art teacher at the middle school where I teach; she teaches quilting to the 8th graders each year. She has amassed quite a bunch from me and others! To me, 17 x 18 is not a scrap so I'd keep that one to use later....unless I hated the print and if so, I'd send it along to the art teacher.
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

Blog Entries
    I don't have the extra time either to be that organized but I agree with earlier posts that I would leave your larger pieces uncut until you need them for a specific project.

I combine Bonnie's and scrap therapy and put them in the scrap therapy boxes. I have 7. The strips I put in pizza boxes and I am running out of space for strips. I have regular sized bag, a paper box, 3 medium plastic boxes and 4 medium to small pile of scraps to cut. Don't know when I will get them as I have so many other things planned.

I have been trying out Bonnie Hunter's leaders and enders idea....I am making a lap quilt which calls for 37 WOF 2.5-inch wide strips, so I am stitching small and odd shaped pieces into crumb blocks in between cutting the threads. This is so much fun I have to remind myself to get back to the lap quilt now and then! The next strap project will be patch blocks out of the square pieces already cut up from scraps.

I do not cut up large pieces until ready to use them. If I have odd shaped pieces I don't think I can use as is, I will cut them into 10" squares, 5" squares, 4" squares or 2.5 " strips. If it's a piece I don't like, I will cut it up. Someone said if you don't like it even after you cut it up, you didn't cut it small enough! HA

As I have a specific pattern that uses 2.5" squares, I cut all my fabric scraps. It does seem to take forever but I want to make a scrappy. I have the hubby help while he watches sports to divide them into general colors and then I refine them. Then pack them into a 14 X 14 scrapbook pages container. I don't have a lrge amount of scraps as I only purchase fabric as needed for specific quilts. Will soon need additional box!!
    Name:  ok 017.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  1.65 MB
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I would leave the larger pieces intact - until you have an actual use for them.

Why - for example: if the pattern calls for 4.5 inch squares, and my strips are 5.5 inch strips, then I would be wasting an inch, and if the strips are 3.5 inches, then they are too small.
    I agree with you - if you have a larger piece, no point in limiting yourself too early. Also would leave you more "wiggle room" should you decide to applique or something like that.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

I would leave intact.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast