Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall? >

Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall?

Cutting & Sewing Tables in center or against wall?

Old 01-05-2011, 01:47 AM

oh, how great it is!! I would admit to jealousy if I were not so pleased with your layout!!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:08 AM

My cutting/sewing table is accessable from 3 sides. Sometimes I find it necessary to go around to the other side to cut. I'd say set it up and try it out first. Move things around if you're able if they aren't in the configuration that works for you.

Kwendt: Your table and mine are about in the same arrangement in the room. I do use a 4 drawer plastic rolling cart with a portable press surface on it to my right, when I'm piecing and needing to iron. But if you like to actually get up and take your items to the other side to press, that's fine too. Whatever works out for each of us.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
My cutting/sewing table is accessable from 3 sides. Sometimes I find it necessary to go around to the other side to cut. I'd say set it up and try it out first. Move things around if you're able if they aren't in the configuration that works for you.

Kwendt: Your table and mine are about in the same arrangement in the room. I do use a 4 drawer plastic rolling cart with a portable press surface on it to my right, when I'm piecing and needing to iron. But if you like to actually get up and take your items to the other side to press, that's fine too. Whatever works out for each of us.
I love change, so I move things around a lot. I have a printer cart on wheels that fits under the middle section of the Horn-hidden (it holds WIPs). On the top are two cutting mats-one a flat, the other a square twisty/turny thing. I can wheel it around if I want. I've just not done so yet. Admittedly, I've only had my room finished about a month or so.

It seems that many of us have small rooms, similar in size. Of course, there are others like CJ (I'm so jealous!) that have huge(er) rooms or multiple rooms, and some folks that are in a smaller space/using a corner of another room, etc. It's been really interesting to see how people make use of space... I've found some great ideas from you all! Many thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
if I had room mine would be in the middle, you will find it so much better to be able to work from any side, I envy you
:thumbup: Wish my room was bigger so I could do this as well.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM

I am blessed to have a big room so my cutting table is in the middle of the room. My sewing machine is sort of out there as it faces the door coming into the room. I really like it that way as I have my
pressing table right behind it so as I sew I can swivel around and press as I go. Just works good for me.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:33 AM

I have a Koala cutting table that is on wheels. Most of the time I leave one side down and the end sets up against a wall. This allows me to cut from 3 sidea if I need to. And if I need it larger, I pull it out from the wall and put the other leaf up. It sets behind me when I am at my machine, so all I have to do is stand up and turn around. Works for me.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 PM

I like some space around my table to move my quilts around.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 PM

I have mine in the middle, and I really like being able to work on all sides.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Okay folks. I just set up my 'new' sew/craft/kwilt room... and I specifically chose to put my main cutting, sewing and ironing surface in the middle of my room. BUT, I see in so many of the marvelous pics of y'alls sewing rooms... that most times the cutting and sewing surfaces are up against walls.

??? Is this just personal preference? Or are there some excellent reasons for setting up those surfaces against walls? So what am I missing here? Clue me in!

Thanks...
If it is possible, put locking wheels on the tables and cabinets.Then you can use even a small sewing room like a large one. Whatever table you need to work with, roll it to the center.The others can be against the wall. Then if you need floor space,just roll all the cabinets and tables to the walls. That's what I did in a 10'x10' room for 8 years til my daughters started growing up and moving out.The single most important thing you need in your sewing room is good lighting and a comfortable chair to sit and work in.You could buy one for $20,but within 30 minutes your back will be in pain and your butt will be numb cause that cheap chair does not have any padding in the seat. I found this out the hard way with my first chair.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I wish I could afford a cutting table - and had the room to put it somewhere...I just made two quilt tops over Christmas whilst staying with a friend. She has a new cutting table which I used first. No back - aches and very fast cutting.It was Heaven.
My cutting table was free.My daughter bought a new kitchen table cause she wanted a round one. She had a rectangle one so I took her old one.My nephew had an extra shower wall panel (the kind with 4"x6" squares) and he cut it to fit the table and glued it down.It's a great cutting table and a great sewing table.Check your local Goodwill store or BargainFinder paper. A kitchen table,or dresser makes good cutting tables and won't cost very much or may even be free.