Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting table / ironing board size? >

Cutting table / ironing board size?

Cutting table / ironing board size?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:25 AM

Default Cutting table / ironing board size?

I have seen HUGE cutting tables / ironing boards down to small ones. If space WERE NOT an issue what size would you have?

I am really wondering why I would need one cutting table any bigger than 22 in wide if I always cut my fabrics when it's folded? WOF is only 22 in.

As for the ironing I understand that it might need to be a bit bigger for larger quilts HOWEVER if you iron the blocks before they are added together and get big, shouldn't at ironing table same size as the cutting table be enough?

Please help me understand the reason behind the 'need' for. Larger area than the typical cutting mat size.
Thank you.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:12 AM

My works well to iron the backing as a larger area when it's pieced together. I don't have a design wall, so the larger area gets used for that. Saves on the back and knees! Larger area is support which prevents the pull of larger pieces if they don't fit on a regular ironing board. My table is one that folds down on two sides and can fit in a closet for storage when visitors arrive. I have a 24 x 36 mat and an ironing cover for the top when the sides are extended. Love it. Got it on sale at Hancock Fabrics. Other stores carry, too.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:30 AM

I am new so i'm still figuring things out but i love my big table and wish i had more table space. I use more than 22" of table when cutting so i can cut from large pieces without the fabric hanging over the edge of the table. A few times i've had it try to pull itself away and it wasn't easy to cut straight. In the past i would have to cut large items like curtains by setting things up on the floor. I used to have 2 of the square restaurant type tables side by side for cutting and ironing and it was perfect but my space doesn't allow for it anymore.

As for the ironing space, i use my one large table and have a small ironing board that i set up on the table as needed. I can't do the entire quilt at once but like you said, i can iron the blocks as i go and then do the final seems in rows easily on the small board. I've also discovered that i like ironing right on the table top without the ironing board. I throw a large flannel bed sheet down first and haven't had any problem with it harming the table.

Last night i glue basted and ironed a quilt sandwich together right on the table top and it worked great!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

i have two dressers connected back to back with a [kitchen counter type] laminate cover over both. i have my largest cutting mat on one side and a table top ironing board on the other. for me, the surface should be larger than the mat in order to set your fabrics, rulers, cutters, etc while you are working with them. i use that entire surface
Old 04-04-2014, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

I wash and press all my fabric as soon as it comes in the house. A larger ironing surface would really help with that. I do press each seam in the block as it is being sewn, but each seam of the top must also be pressed as the top is assembled. A larger ironing surface would help support the top while those long, long seams are being pressed. During quilting I have found that those long seams are the ones that need pressing the most, since the shorter seams in the blocks are generally held down by stitching.

The batting and backing have to be cut off the quilt after quilting and before binding. A large cutting surface is necessary for that, and the wider the better to help support the quilt.

I do find that I use my large cutting surface (with multiple mats) far too much as just another horizontal storage. (In other words, stuff gets put on it that doesn't belong there.) As a result I frequently have to clear it off so I can use the whole thing for its intended purpose. Occasionally I need to cut pieces of fabric that are pretty large. Backing fabric, background for applique, corner and side triangles for on point designs - these are just a few. I also use my cutting table for assembling applique, for tracing with a light box, for laying out fabrics for consideration in a quilt.

So yes, bigger really is better.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 AM

If space isn't an issue, then you can pretty much design what you want. I would love to have a bigger cutting/ironing surface.

What I do have is plenty big enough to put my ironing surface on and press my material. I can remove the ironing surface and use my rotary mat. The best things are that I can easily walk around all 4 sides so I don't need to reposition my fabric/blocks for cutting and it has locking wheels so that I can easily move into a corner of my studio when not in use [not that I do that except for when i have friends over.]

To me the ability to cut from all 4 sides without stretching is the best feature, along with its dual purpose.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I have a work table that is 4' x 6' with two cutting mats. My ironing board is large being on top of two of the large Sterilite drawers that I bought on sale at Walmart.com last Thanksgiving. Being in a small apt, I have to get the most bang from the limited space I have.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:52 AM

I use my cutting table for sandwiching quilts so I'd go as big as possible for myself. Mine is 3 x 5 because that's the size that fits well in my room. If I had more space I'd go with 4 x 6. My ironing table is about 17" wide by about 60" long.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:52 PM

I have found that the more space, the better. I use two banquet tables on bed risers to bring them up to a comfortable height. I have my 24x36 mat on one and it then leaves plenty of room for scissors, cutters, rulers, etc. It's also great space for sandwiching my quilts. I have ironing space on the other table, on which I have a 2x4 sheet of plywood covered with foam and layers of muslin on top. I like that so much better than an ironing board.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:07 PM

I, too, have one of the tables that the flaps fold down for storage. Not that it ever gets put away, mind you. I have a mat about the size of one of the flaps at one end and I use folded over towels on the other end for ironing. If I have a large quantity of yardage to iron, I simply remove the mat and add more towels. And if I'm cutting from a large quantity of folded (selvage to selvage) yardage, I can lightly fold that at the ironing end and pull to the cutting end as needed. It's all I've got room for. I also use it for sandwiching. Center the top over the entire table, clamp all my layers as needed and start pinning or thread basting from the center out. Shift the completed basted section, re-clamp as necessary and repeat. I'm short so I would really like the table a few inches shorter but I can live with it as is.