Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting table surface? >

cutting table surface?

cutting table surface?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
Thanks everyone! I am building the bottom part because premade cabinets are way too tall (I'm putting it on casters which will raise it another 3.5", plus I'm short). I have tools to build it so that's not a problem. I think painting it is the biggest chore but I'd have to do that no matter what. I think some of y'all are right-too thin to securely screw into.

Chasing Hawk-where did you get the formica to put on top of your table?
We special ordered it from Lowe's, I think we paid around $50.00 for a 4x8 sheet. The formica was originally suppose to go in the back of my truck. We were going to have specialty slide out trays on the sides of the bed put in for storage. But since it is my truck, we decided not to make them.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:16 PM

Thanks. I don't have a lowe's nearby but I'll check with Home Depot.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:05 PM

If you can afford it, I would make a whole new table, as large a surface that I have room for and make sure you can fit your cutting mat on it as well as room around it for a place to store all the "stuff" that we gather and use. If you have funds, check out the Ikea web site, they have awesome storage units, and for about what you would pay for the wood. Good luck!!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:30 PM

There's no ikea near me, unfortunately, and their shipping is way too high (I tried to order two small carts, about 25lb total and $100, and shipping was $349. No lie). I'm making it 3' x 5'. That's about the limit of the space I have. I will also have a separate 2' x 5' ironing surface that I'm making with an old cabinet (it won't be on casters so I can use a cabinet for it). I am making a whole new underneath part though-I was just going to use the old top. But I think I'll get a new top too.

I'm actually thinking of driving to an Ikea soon. It's about 2.5 hours away. But I wouldn't be able to fit a big table like that in my car along with the other items I want to buy.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gale View Post
...Chasing Hawk-where did you get the formica to put on top of your table?
i also used a sheet of laminate... i ordered it through the net and it came loosely rolled in a large box. having said that, i was at home depot a couple of days ago and they had 4x8 sheets in the same section that they sell the preformed countertops. i know menards also carries it the same way.

i use two dressers back to back and made a heavy countertop of mdf with the sheet laminate on that. the top is heavy and does not need to be screwed down, so it can be easily moved.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 AM

We used an old wood door that my husband found (free). he kept telling me I was going to have to work on it to get a smooth finish - NOT. covered it in contact paper - works great
Old 08-09-2013, 09:17 AM

Mine is topped with white melamine and I love it! Easy to keep clean and to need to paint it like plywood.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:26 AM

Home Depot has a 4x8 sheet of white, smooth topped material in their wood section (about 1/4 inch thick). Just glue it to the top of the 3/4 inch wood.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post
Home Depot has a 4x8 sheet of white, smooth topped material in their wood section (about 1/4 inch thick). Just glue it to the top of the 3/4 inch wood.
Oh good idea. I've seen those-like pegboard without the holes. I think it's called tempered masonite or tempered hardboard.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Industrial-strength velcro! I used it to attach 3/4" thick plywood to cubicle shelf units to make a cutting table and a sewing table. One table top is 3'x5' and the other is 3'x4" and with the velcro, they are interchangable.[ATTACH=CONFIG]429308[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt-room-005.jpg