Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting table >

Cutting table

Cutting table

Old 11-01-2008, 01:31 PM

I bought one at JoAnns this summer, and am loving it. Especially the fact that it folds down on both sides until I'm ready to use it. I got mine for only $59 - so I'm feeling pretty lucky! I know in my area (Southern California) they go on sale at least a couple times a year...or there's always that lovely coupon.

As for the home-made ironing tables or tops, I haven't built mine yet, but a friend had a good suggestion...she stapled multiple layers of fabric on the top, and when one gets scorched or dirty, she simply cuts off the top one, and presto, a whole new surface. (She washes the old one, and uses the good parts to cut up for piecing.) She's been using hers for 10+ years and said she's not to the bottom of the stack yet, but soon will be. Then she'll just repeat the process.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by june6995
If you have a handy-man around the house, he could build you one.

I "had" one that was made from a sheet of plywood. My hubby built a frame with the legs attached, then put hinges on the leg-to-top section. This can be made counter height, which is much more comfortable for stand-up cutting. The room where I sewed doubled as a gues room, so it was folded against the wall and a sheet covered it nicely.

Now that I have a sewing room, I have one made from a hollow core door. It is usually full of a lot of my "stuff" on the back side near the wall. It is great for doing lots of cutting and also great for trimming quilts. I use it every day.

I cannot tell you the cost comparison, but I do know it was not expensive to make. If you have ever had muscle pain from leaning over the dining room table to do your cutting, you will want to consider a higher table.

My table measures 36" wid (deep) X 80"long X 37 "high. It is one inch higher than the counter in my kitchen, where 36" is standard. I am 5'6" and I never have back pain or stress from doing a lot of cutting.

I hope this information helps you think through what kind of cutting tabel you want, or need. I used the dining room table for years and they are not designed for fabric cutting, unless you are very petite. .

June
i have a hollow-core door also, and it's supported by a dresser that i found on the street waiting for trash pickup. i covered the door with 2 very old all-wool blankets and preshrunk tight weave muslin. the other end of the door rests on cleats that my dh built onto the wall. i would not advise muslin because stretches. i plan to recover in that silver ironing board stuff. if you have enough space, go for a permanent table, the largest size you can. if not go for the largest size folding one you can. i only wish i could find another dresser. a friend has those folding rolling ones and she wouldn't be without it! that's my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:37 PM

:) Got my cutting table from JoAnns and for the money thought I had made a mistake. But, I find myself using it often...for more than cutting squares. My daughter uses it for her school projects when she need a large space to lay out her thoughts. Glad I made the purchase.