Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Templates - Help Please :) >

Cutting Templates - Help Please :)

Cutting Templates - Help Please :)

Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 AM

I'd like to know the best way to accurately cut your own templates out of template plastic.

I have made a paper template for the Star Strata table topper pattern - and plan to make several toppers - so plastic will help me to cut more accurately. Thanks so much everyone - can't say enough good about how helpful and enjoyable this board is :thumbup:
Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 AM

If you score the plastic VERY CAREFULLY but deeply with a carpet knife like cutter...cover both sides with a towel and I'd make sure you wear safety glasses or some such...grab firmly and snap it. It should work..and then sand the edges smooth. Haven't tried it yet but read online somewhere thats how its done.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 AM

I have found that if there is a pattern you know you will make over and over and templates are the best way of cutting the fabric accurately find your closest glass shop and go in and ask if they are able to cut your templates from plex-a-glass. most often they will and can. It can be pricey but then you figure how often you will use them and if the cost is doable.
Patchpoket
Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Midwestmary
I'd like to know the best way to accurately cut your own templates out of template plastic.

I have made a paper template for the Star Strata table topper pattern - and plan to make several toppers - so plastic will help me to cut more accurately. Thanks so much everyone - can't say enough good about how helpful and enjoyable this board is :thumbup:
I often go to Lowes and buy plastic plexi glass and hve them cut it to size. Just like templates you buy only ALOT cheaper!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 AM

Trace the template with a fine line permanent marker, cut out a shade inside the drawn line with sharp scissors. Try to not be choppy when cutting, you want the edge to be as smooth as possible.

After cutting, realign the template on the original pattern to size it &be sure it is accurate.

Hope this helps