Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cutting trick?

To cut scraps into 2" or any other size, the only accurate way would be to cut each one. As far as I know, otherwise the strips across the width of fabric, then cut to the size square you need would be the way to do it. Cut the strips as wide as you need the squares to be. I'm going to be cutting some tomorrow, starting another quilt.

june taylor's ruler-I have 2 sizes-smaller one says "fringe CUT"-you can cut strips on it --then cut your sqs. it has slots every 1/2" up to 12". I use this ruler alot!USE IT W/rotary cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Halo
    When I have to make lots of blocks, little or not so little, I make strips first. Stack the strips & then finish cutting the blocks. For a 2" block you would cut 2" strips, stack three or four strips & cut the strips into 2" squares. That way you can cut 4 blocks at a time & it goes fast.
    It is also helpful to have one of those large blade rotary cutters which will cut thru several layers of fabric. Stack three different fabrics (45" folded in half makes 6 layers of fabric) cut the strips the width you need for the squares. Disturbing this stack as little as possible, now cut the same measurment as the strip width -- you now have 6 squares, one cut. Another thing which I have learned, is to be VERY consistent in the placement of the ruler. Watch to see if you are laying the measurment line exactly on top of the cut edge of the fabric or if you have just snugged that line up to the cut edge. This is only a thread difference, but does make just a tad difference. Also using the same ruler seems to make a difference. Also notice how the ruler is lining up on the long edge of the strip. Hope this helps.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nana2
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo
    When I have to make lots of blocks, little or not so little, I make strips first. Stack the strips & then finish cutting the blocks. For a 2" block you would cut 2" strips, stack three or four strips & cut the strips into 2" squares. That way you can cut 4 blocks at a time & it goes fast.
    It is also helpful to have one of those large blade rotary cutters which will cut thru several layers of fabric. Stack three different fabrics (45" folded in half makes 6 layers of fabric) cut the strips the width you need for the squares. Disturbing this stack as little as possible, now cut the same measurment as the strip width -- you now have 6 squares, one cut. Another thing which I have learned, is to be VERY consistent in the placement of the ruler. Watch to see if you are laying the measurment line exactly on top of the cut edge of the fabric or if you have just snugged that line up to the cut edge. This is only a thread difference, but does make just a tad difference. Also using the same ruler seems to make a difference. Also notice how the ruler is lining up on the long edge of the strip. Hope this helps.
    What she said about lining up the rulers - IMPORTANT AND HELPUL!

Also - check your old(er) well-used rulers to make sure that they still have a straight edge. I was so puzzled when I moved the ruler and I had a bow/curve on the cut edge when I knew I hadn't moved the fabric.

I just tossed three Quilter's Rule rulers (they were big ones, too) in the trash because they are no longer accurate. (By the way, that really did cause me pain to do so. But the curved cuts hurts more)

If you are fussy cutting and want a 'dog' in each square, there is an easier way.
    Cut the fabric after a repeat which might mean you must cut 10 or 12 inch pieces. Pile them up so they line up perfectly (stick a pin in 'the dog's eye, in each layer'). then you can fussy-cut the layers and all will have the same 'dog' in each square.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce
    Now I have 2 things on my list for my next JoAnn coupons.
    I need the larger Shape Cutter. Simplicity rulers have a hinged 2 1/2" bias ruler for binding. It's cool.
    I got this shape cut (Shape Cut Pro) today. It's originally $49.00 for the ruler and mat. I used my 40% off coupon and ended up paying $20.00 for it. I've seen the ruler alone for $64.00.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by quilterken
    If you just want to cut a bunch of squares get a June Tailor Shape Cut Ruler.
    Fold fabric to fit under ruler, cut strips, rotate ruler & repeat.
    Great for watercolor quilts
    Be careful with this type ruler. If you even slightly tilt your rotary cutter then the sizes aren't uniform. I only use it when I am making fabric baskets, because there it doesn't matter.

ali

The accuquiot go has a die for 2" squares

With a sharp blade and good body placement (lean into it with your whole body) I rotary cut 8 at a time....using the "cut strips then cut the strips into squares" method.

Power Poster
    If they're really small I would cut them a little at a time and very carefully otherwise I would cut strips, pile them up and cut into squares.

Blog Entries
    for such small squares, i cut strips and then squares from those. a few layers at a time.

Banned
    The Accuquilt Go is fast and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Girl
    The Shape Cut ruler rocks for this!
    DITTO!

Diane

June Taylor Shape Cutter. It is on my shopping list!
    I love new cutting tools.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflyquilter
    The Accuquilt Go is fast and easy.
    I have the GO and don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my GO but you have to be careful when you lay out the fabric on it (as with all methods of cutting). I have found some of my squares were smaller than they should be. I have found, however, that the benefit of cutting a gadrillion strips/squares in a short amount of time out weighs a few short squares.

Blog Entries
    Before I got the Go! I would cut the small squares and end up having about 1/4 of the batch be miscut. I like the Shape Cut ruler for cutting when I only need a few. If you have any of the pattern weights those are great to put on the ruler to hold it more securely on the fabric while you cut. The Shape Cut Plus has 1/4" cuts.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for all the information. God bless.

I always cut the strips first 2 inch or 3 inch whatever I need. Then cut the squares from that. Make sure to be precise so your blocks are square. Sometimes you have to cut off a little bit at the center fold to keep straight.

if you rotary cut squares, it doesn't matter that you fold and cut. if you are cutting shapes, make sure that all your fabric is face up or face down or you get reverse shapes.

I cut my squares or triangles IMMEDIATLY after I finish cutting out my blocks,quilt shapes(squares, strips, ....) and add them to the appropriate shaped stack for later use

I do this to and I also have a box filled with scrap so I can do those scrappy quilts....:-)

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    If they are small scraps, one at a time.

Get a little cutting mat, a small template (Rhonda has been giving them away) and do them while you are sitting in front of the TV.

It helps to iron/press them first.
    Press and layer the scraps. Use the June Tailor mat to cut strips, then replace the mat and cut across the strips.

Blog Entries
    i'd just press my scraps flat, stack them by size (smallest on top), lined up as closely as possible on one side.

cut the first straight edge through the whole stack.
    rotate the stack (or the mat if you have a small one) and cut the first perpendicular straight edge.
    rotate once more and cut the third straight edge.
    after that, cut squares along the whole stack as though you were using strips.
    discard the leftover bits from each layer or save them for a time you want smaller squares.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    I have the June Taylor Shape cutter, not used it as yet, but it seems a good tool to have. there is a video on it on youtube ...
    I had mine for a while before I used it. First time I used it I loved it and now want the bigger one!
    I bought the larger one at Joann's with a 50% coupon a few months ago. Would you believe I haven't used it yet? There's something about having a new tool or ruler that really intimidates me. I know about the youtube tutorial, but never find the block of time it probably would take to view it and figure it out.
    Yet here I sit using up a block of time on the board. Tsk .. tsk.

8-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2