Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: D9p Question - colorways

I have been thinking about making a d9p quilt top. I have noticed some are 3 + colors. I am trying to decide which way I want to go. Can you all please chime in and let me know which you like more (less patterns/colors or more) and why. If you have a photo of your d9p can you post it and tell me how many different fabrics used and the placement of the fabrics to make your specific quilt? I am leaning towards 4 to 5 fabrics. Thanks in advance.

I have only made 2 d9p, and you will get many better answers, but I was pleased with mine. Both were small quilts for a cat (yes, really), and I used 3 fabrics. Let me see if I can find pictures. I am a fairly new quilter and I was surprised how easy the d9p was!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the quick reply. Your cat quilts are very cute. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    I use lots of prints in mine, but try to keep to a few colors. I like to use the same color for all of the centers, then my preference is to keep the 4 outer corners of the 9 patch either all light or all dark, and the opposite for the rest. I did a B&W with Turquoise and am working on a blue/green/yellow one. I like the B&W one best. The other one is busier than I envisioned. I only have a pic of the B&W one and the safari one, not for the blue/green/yellow. The Safari one I made using a panel for the squares and border print for the border.

tmg
    I used 3 colors and 9 fabrics.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-112522-1.htm
    is the link to my first and only D9P
    I think the one I copied from is miles ahead of mine - the link is in that post also

Quote Originally Posted by Dina
    I have only made 2 d9p, and you will get many better answers, but I was pleased with mine. Both were small quilts for a cat (yes, really), and I used 3 fabrics. Let me see if I can find pictures. I am a fairly new quilter and I was surprised how easy the d9p was!
    What size do you make cat quilts? This would be a perfect solution for gift giving to the cat people friends.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I use lots of prints in mine, but try to keep to a few colors. I like to use the same color for all of the centers, then my preference is to keep the 4 outer corners of the 9 patch either all light or all dark, and the opposite for the rest. I did a B&W with Turquoise and am working on a blue/green/yellow one. I like the B&W one best. The other one is busier than I envisioned. I only have a pic of the B&W one and the safari one, not for the blue/green/yellow. The Safari one I made using a panel for the squares and border print for the border.
    wow..that black/white/turquoise is stunning!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by muddlingabout
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina
    What size do you make cat quilts? This would be a perfect solution for gift giving to the cat people friends.
    was wondering that myself! great for I spy or themed quilts as well!

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I love your B&W with the teal center. I have been wanting to do a B&W and this would take care of both! Thanks for the indepth description of where you placed your colors also!

Quote Originally Posted by tmg
    I used 3 colors and 9 fabrics.
    Very pretty! I like how you used the three colors but with 9 different fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Mine was just 3 fabrics, red, ivory and pink. I'm currently making one from charm packs of blue/yellow/ivory/green floral patterns, I hope it turns out as nice as the first.

Nice

np3
    Blog Entries
    I love using this block. I am making one with Halloween fabrics that will be a tablecloth when finished.

This one uses nine fabrics. We wanted a scrappy look.

Darren

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    This one uses nine fabrics. We wanted a scrappy look.

Darren
    awesome..more controlled scrappy in that you use a certain colorway! very pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by nclauri
    I have been thinking about making a d9p quilt top. I have noticed some are 3 + colors. I am trying to decide which way I want to go. Can you all please chime in and let me know which you like more (less patterns/colors or more) and why. If you have a photo of your d9p can you post it and tell me how many different fabrics used and the placement of the fabrics to make your specific quilt? I am leaning towards 4 to 5 fabrics. Thanks in advance.
    I can never just do things the simple way so I did a twisted sampler style version. I believe I used 3 fabrics. I purposely made each block different and forced myself to use at least one normal D9P in each block.

My twist on the D9P
    Name:  Attachment-269329.jpe
Views: 437
Size:  66.0 KB

IMHO, the fewer colors you use, the better you can see the pattern of the quilt. Love what has been posted!

wesing, I love yours!!!

Blog Entries
    Oh I like them all, I'm very inspired now! Thanks for the detalied instructions Katier825, and I LOVE that black/white and turquoise one! Wow!

Blog Entries
    I haven't done one yet, but I LOVE this one, and have saved it for inspiration. You can see the entire post with more pictures here.

http://goneaussiequilting.blogspot.c...quilt-top.html

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    I haven't done one yet, but I LOVE this one, and have saved it for inspiration. You can see the entire post with more pictures here.

http://goneaussiequilting.blogspot.c...quilt-top.html
    interesting, wonder why they call it heirloom!

Blog Entries
    I think she called it Heirloom because that's the name of the fabric line she used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

wow..that black/white/turquoise is stunning!
    Thanks! I was inspired by a different quilt in similar colors that was hanging at the LQS. I thought I had a picture since I completed the center of the top but can't find it...must be in my laptop. I still have to put borders on it, but life has gotten in the way of that. Things will settle down in a week or two and I can get back to finishing it.

This was a complete scrappy one, just used the same fabric in the centre block to coordinate.

This one I called Raspberry fields cos of the colours and was made from umm I think 5 different fabrics.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast