Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
D9p Question - colorways >

D9p Question - colorways

D9p Question - colorways

Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by pstrwife
Originally Posted by nclauri
I have been thinking about making a d9p quilt top. I have noticed some are 3 + colors. I am trying to decide which way I want to go. Can you all please chime in and let me know which you like more (less patterns/colors or more) and why. If you have a photo of your d9p can you post it and tell me how many different fabrics used and the placement of the fabrics to make your specific quilt? I am leaning towards 4 to 5 fabrics. Thanks in advance.
I am making one at home using scraps ( but they how can I say it) not the usual scrap quilt, I guess. I'm using muted blues and greens in center square. Then for the remaining squares I have mauve pinks, peaches with alternating white/off white squares. And because there is more color I an attaching them together with narrow strips of off white sashings.
My church group is a little different. Still using scraps, we have the same black print center square, blues, mauve pinks, peaches, greens alternating with off white squares. Will not be using sashing on this one. This one looks good without.
Good Luck.
If still unsure, make samples or at least lay fabric out to see how they look.
Would love to see a photo.... :lol:
Old 10-18-2011, 08:11 PM

I've made wall hangings with DNP's and used many for corner blocks before. I love this fun and easy block.

There are no color rules.. you just have fun going for it!

"KISSY~♥~KISSY"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273621[/ATTACH]

Fussy Cut squares
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273623[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-273568.jpe   attachment-273569.jpe   attachment-273570.jpe  
Old 10-18-2011, 08:21 PM

These are all so wonderful. I love how just a small change in placement makes such a dramatic effect in the overall look. While they all are great, it looks like 3 colors is a good way to go when a balanced look is desired.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I use lots of prints in mine, but try to keep to a few colors. I like to use the same color for all of the centers, then my preference is to keep the 4 outer corners of the 9 patch either all light or all dark, and the opposite for the rest. I did a B&W with Turquoise and am working on a blue/green/yellow one. I like the B&W one best. The other one is busier than I envisioned. I only have a pic of the B&W one and the safari one, not for the blue/green/yellow. The Safari one I made using a panel for the squares and border print for the border.
I know this is an early post - but what size blocks did you start with?
Old 01-23-2016, 11:34 AM

My D9P is here.[ATTACH=CONFIG]540897[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1214.jpg