Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dangerous seam ripper ? >

Dangerous seam ripper ?

Dangerous seam ripper ?

Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 PM

When I visited California, I noticed that label on practically everything. It is overused to the point of making the warning rather meaningless, IMHO. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:21 PM

EVERYTHING causes cancer in California. If I were you, I'd stay out of California!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:09 PM

I've heard of people buying dish towels with that warning. I would not worry about it. California has some weird laws.

eta: I see you live in California (not far from my parents in Riverside!). I'm shocked you haven't seen a lot more items with that warning on them.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
I broke my seam ripper last week and saw an ad on Facebook for a brass seam ripper. I already had a matching stiletto that I love and have used all the time so I ordered one from Nifty Notions. It came yesterday and on the outside of the package was a sticker that said 'this product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects and other reproductive harm' Now I don't know what to do, is it really possible that a brass seam ripper can be that dangerous and what about my stiletto. Any advice ?
I've had my Brass seam ripper & Stiletto for about 30 years. I love it over any other ripper. The seam ripper is just as sharp as the day I got it. I use it a lot too.

I tried to do a search for "Nifty Notions", but found no site. I found sites that sell these, but one said it was discontinued. I hope they aren't out of business.