Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
darling sewing desk >

darling sewing desk

darling sewing desk

Old 12-11-2010, 01:34 PM

Wish we lived closer--I have a child's oak desk you would be more than welcome to for free!

Hope you find something!
Carole
Marlton, NJ
Old 12-11-2010, 04:42 PM

Got a sewing machine in the cabinet for $10.00 at the Rehab store Habitat for Humanity, we have a few near here great finds and with a handy husband who know what will happen.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by rebeccalr
I decided to get my daughter a sewing desk for Christmas from the jolly man. I went by a store I go to frequently that sells sewing machines hoping that she could tell me what store to go to, instead she led me to the most darling little girls desk. It was white with pink trim and pink knobs. Just adorable! She said, "Let me see what I can do." As she walked away I was just devastated because I was sure she would come back with a price that was $20-40 more than I could spend and I would just have to walk away from it. Well, that didn't happen, because she came back with a price that was HUNDREDS more than I could pay. The desk was $450 with the discount!! Good Lord have mercy it was made out of MDF, not virgin hard wood from the Brazilian rain forest. Thankfully, I could walk away from that desk with no guilt. Is it just me or do you sometimes feel like you are being taken advantage of because you are addicted?
Might I recommend you try goodwill? I got an old teacher's desk for DH, and he loves it. They gave me a deep discount ($150 originally, down to $35!) because they thought it was defective. They didn't know the 'open the center desk to make the others release' trick! :D :thumbup:
Old 12-11-2010, 04:58 PM

For years I used an old wooden small desk to put my machine on. The reason I loved it (and still have it) is because the drawers were down the left side with my legs going under the right side, leaving room on the left top for material to lay on while sewing. Look at the thrift stores, used furniture stores, etc. You'll be surprised at what you might find rather than looking for "sewing tables".
Old 12-11-2010, 05:12 PM

I also had needed a sewing desk or cabinet for my new Brother embroidery machine. The cheapest I could find was a dark brown laminated table, 6 feet long and about 30" deep. Purchased at Office Max or Staples.

The studier tables have legs that fold in, not the kind that has the desk actually fold in the middle. Then I purchased 2 sets of sturdy plastic drawer sets that goes under the table from Walmart. The drawer sets are clear or translucent with 3 drawers each and do fit under the table side by side.

For under 100.00 I got 2 sets of drawers and a heavy duty table.
Not bad for now. from, Debbie, Phoenix, AZ
Old 12-11-2010, 08:57 PM

I use a garage sale computer desk with drop sides - the keyboard drawer is perfect for my smaller cutting mat for quick fixes pulls out and then back in, and stores my sewing foots for quick changes.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:12 PM

That is a Shame,Check the Goodwill stores I am sure you could find a desk there.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:38 AM

I forgot to add to check your local Freecycle yahoogroup and Craigslist as well...
Old 12-12-2010, 05:01 AM

Craigs list has some good buys on sewing cabinets if you can hit it right.
But I can tell you from experience that sewing desks with drawers are expensive.
Try Walmart.com I think they had a basic cabinet that was't tooo expensive.

Also, if you have a sewing repair shop - that just does repairs - they might have something to hook you up.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Wow that is an insane price. Yea I think there are people who try to take advantage of others but when you can walk away you are the better person.