Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Days drive. >

Days drive.

Days drive.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:01 PM

Default Days drive.

Hi all. Looking for ideas to help me.
in September last year began a course one day each month for 6 months to make the top of a quilt. Look up delft quilt by Liz Hands. We were given 4 block patterns each month.
my problem; yesterday was month 5. Yesterday I travelled the 180 miles there and back. Having left from a snowy home.
When I arrived the gates were locked.
Being nosy I asked reception at the adjacent factory who said it was closed before Christmas and in liquidation.
my problem is I started a quilt which I don't know if I will finish and have all the fabric too finish the centre area. I have paid for 10 sessions.The border was another 6 sessions which I have not paid for.
not worried about the money just upset that I have no way of contacting to have the missing patterns to finish the top.

Any UK quilters out there who know how to contact Liz Hands.? I have sent comment to someone who has made the quilt and has iton her website to see if she could help.
We were a group of 10, as I came from such a long way away I knew nobody but I wanted to make the quilt, just loved it especially with all the hand embroidery on each piece and made as quilt as you go.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

is this the gal you contacted? http://lincsinstitches.com/tag/liz-hands/
it sure is a beautiful quilt. since you were more than half done, could you repeat the blocks you've done? and you could use the flowers from the center to make the flowers for the border. it won't be just like the one pictured, but will be beautiful just the same.
sorry that it happened and best luck in finding Liz
Old 01-23-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Someone should have contacted you to at least spare you the long drive.
I went to the link that QuiltnNan posted. If you go to the comments on the right and click on the links, there seems to be a discussion on finding a different venue. Good luck. Looks like a lovely quilt.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-23-2015 at 06:54 AM. Reason: remove shouting/negativity
Old 01-23-2015, 06:33 AM

Sad to have traveled all that way. At least the factory next door had an idea of what happened. Sometimes no one seems to know. Finding a way to finish your quilt will require some creative thinking, and probably won't be exactly what you wanted. Here's hoping that you find a way to satisfactorily finish and that the owner of the business is okay and will be able to contact her students.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I do hope you find another way. It sure is pretty.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:21 AM

since no one knows exactly what happened I am saying we should not judge
Old 01-23-2015, 09:58 AM

Aww Dottymo, what a shame, I hope you get another venue and get quilting, I know you've not been up to some of it lately, and it's shame you had to drive that distance xx
Old 01-23-2015, 10:55 PM

That is the quilt but website of somebody else. I had thought about something similiar but the borders were the part I like best not sure ican do them.

i have contact where the other Liz is doing her continuation classes. I just can't contact my tutor. T hey say everyone was contacted by email. I go through mine at least twice each day and received no info. They closed beginning of December. I missed the December meeting but did leave a message on the answer phone. Now I understand why I never got those 4 blocks they were closed.

the shop has 2 rooms packed full of lush fabric, notion and embroidery thread which I can't find a source for so far. Slowly finding out things but I feel let down at not being contacted.they have my email, home address and telephone number. Surely when I went end of November they must have been aware, they took money off me for 4 extra classes to see how to do the joining of blocks.

Last edited by DOTTYMO; 01-23-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
is this the gal you contacted? http://lincsinstitches.com/tag/liz-hands/
it sure is a beautiful quilt. since you were more than half done, could you repeat the blocks you've done? and you could use the flowers from the center to make the flowers for the border. it won't be just like the one pictured, but will be beautiful just the same.
sorry that it happened and best luck in finding Liz
I have managed t o speak to Cole sewing centre who are trying to contact Liz Hands to organise something. They said we had all been contacted but from the emails and comments on this site it is not true. I definitely have not received any info.
i imagine the tutors who are half way through projects are very upset. I'm in grooup5 of the delft quilt. Some of the earlier ones are also part way through.

Last edited by DOTTYMO; 01-24-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

this thread is being closed because dotty was asking for help in how to finish her quilt or how to contact the teacher. there were too many consumer complaint type comments [now deleted] and consumer complaints are not permitted.