Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dealer required class...this makes me giggle >

Dealer required class...this makes me giggle

Dealer required class...this makes me giggle

Old 03-14-2014, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieBB View Post
Poor girl is just trying to do her job the way she was trained, remember how nervous you were when you started a new job?!? When she finds out you probably know more about the machine than she does she will most likely give up. the good news you can get both of your machines as well.
I thought, too, that was about the size of it. Her boss probably said "Everyone gets a free class, and don't let them out of here without it!" Or something to that effect.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:18 AM

Altho I do see your point of view - and I also hate spending time on stuff I already know. Yet, there's been a time or two in my life when I didn't know what I didn't know until someone told me and then I knew it! Like I wouldn't have even thought to ask, because it was out of my realm somehow, but once I knew it, I was glad. So whatever.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 AM

Oh man you made me laugh!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
to be fair, you wouldn't believe the simplest tasks that people can't do or won't relearn to do and call the dealer screaming MY NEW MACHINE IS BROKEN RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!! It can be pretty hairy on the other side of the counter.
I agree. I think they like for people to come in for a little "class", so that they buyer knows that their machine is working fine when they purchase it and leave the store. There are some people out there that will ruin their machine and then take it back to the store they bought it from, and try to say that it didn't work properly when they used it straight out of the box. It's called "insurance" for the shop. They probably already know you know how to thread the machine and use the feet.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:58 AM

I'd like to add that I had my Janome (New Home) MC6000 for almost 30 years before I discovered that it had infinite needle position! I had even looked for it but they didn't have it listed in the manual under "needle position" it was under the section with the manual stitch length and width knobs which of course I never looked at because I thought I knew all about that. So it is possible to pick up a new trick but, I agree that if you've used your machine for a while it's more likely that you'll be teaching them something. In my quest for avnew machine I have been given wrong information about machines from the people who were showing them to me. You can't really know a machine, I believe, unless you've sewn on it (for more than 30 years, perhaps ).
Old 03-17-2014, 02:41 PM

I too bought a 3160 QDC just last week for a class and retreat machine. I went in, found the one I wanted, found a sales lady and asked for a test drive. My last two machines have been Berninas and never had a Janome before so I thought if there was something very different I wanted to know right away. Evidently that counted as my "class" because I wasn't told I had to take one. As yet I haven't sewn with my own but I liked the demo just fine.