Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dear Jane blocks >

Dear Jane blocks

Dear Jane blocks

Old 06-27-2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Here's a company making a Baby Jane-- scroll down http://store.stitchinheaven.com/stor...5&parent_ids=0,6
Wow... it looks stunning in blue doesn't it! Quite a different effect.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Banned

some people don't like to do the curved edge because it can ripple.

the best way is to finish the quilt and then cut in the curves just before you bind it off.

i've only seen people stray from the original in their fabric selection. i love the 2 tones.

i've seen them done is black and white and blue and white.

i've been dwelling on doing it in red and white
Old 06-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Red and white would be amazing, more striking than the blue I think, although blue is my favourite colour.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:00 AM

Library auction is this week. When I go, I'll see if they have any books ont eh dear jane quilts and check it out. A project for 5 or 6 years, right up my alley :)

I never thought I'd see myself doing 4 1/2 inch blocks. but this would be quilt for me- never to leave my bed.

Can't wait to get to the auction- they have book sales and I'm itching to see if there are any quilt books there.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:26 AM

I have just started my DJ quilt. But I am doing a 'my version' cz some of those blocks scare the bjeebees out of me. I went to buy the book at my local quilt store and she had just sold the last one. But she did have the EQ version of it. So I bought it. Still learning how to use it. But unless I have missed something, it doesn't tell you HOW to piece each block. Just patterns/templates and sizes. I desperately want to learn how to paper piece - just gonna have to bite the bullet I guess....

Does anybody out there have this EQ program?
Old 06-28-2009, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I don't have it...but I was wondering..if I buy the actual book..couldn't I just draw them on EQ myself? (I'm pretty cheap you know) :roll:
Old 06-28-2009, 06:03 AM

I am in the long process of making a Dear Jane, and like some of you suggested I leave it by my seat and work on it at night while "watching" TV. Most of them I have hand pieced and a few I've paper pieced, and so far I've completed just over 50 blocks and 1 triangle.

If you go to the Dear Jane site there is a section on block and triangle tips that helps with piecing. This feature is also on the EQ version under Home/The Blocks/Block Tips. Under the same section there is also a listing of all the blocks and their difficutly level (some of which I didn't agree with, but oh well).
Old 06-28-2009, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I've been staring at the individual photos of the blocks and the author's interpretations of the blocks -

L-11, for example, page 111

I know the author had the advantage of seeing the quilt up and personal.
But from the photo, it looks like Jane's seam lines are different than the drawn ones.

L-10, on page 111 - took me awhile to realize that the photo is rotated 1/4 turn from the drawing - no wonder it didn't make sense at first.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sandpat
I don't have it...but I was wondering..if I buy the actual book..couldn't I just draw them on EQ myself? (I'm pretty cheap you know) :roll:
you could draw all the blocks in EQ from the book or you could just scan the book blocks into your computer and save some time.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Red and white would be amazing, more striking than the blue I think, although blue is my favourite colour.
red is my favorite color but i very rarely quilt with it. i use alot of purple, green, blue, and orange in my quilts.