Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dear Jane blocks >

Dear Jane blocks

Dear Jane blocks

Old 07-30-2009, 03:17 AM

Wow those are turning out nice. I have had the book for a year now, but I haven't started them yet. I got beige muslum for the blocks and some of the fabric for it so far, but I thought I had to add 1/4 seam allowance all around the blocks, but what I see from everyone is I just need to copy the block and go to town.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:46 AM

bearisgray: It's fun watching your paper folding method. I'm going to start a Dear Jane after the 1st of the year.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by reneebobby
Wow those are turning out nice. I have had the book for a year now, but I haven't started them yet. I got beige muslum for the blocks and some of the fabric for it so far, but I thought I had to add 1/4 seam allowance all around the blocks, but what I see from everyone is I just need to copy the block and go to town.
I'm tearing my folded pattern apart - taping it to fabric - and adding 1/4 inch seam allowance to each of the pieces -

The blocks in the book do not have templates with them. Seam allowances are needed - they will be about 5 inches "unfinished"

I don't know what the Dear Jane software does. That may have templates with seam allowances already on it.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by reneebobby
I'm tearing my folded pattern apart - taping it to fabric - and adding 1/4 inch seam allowance to each of the pieces -

The blocks in the book do not have templates with them. Seam allowances are needed - they will be about 5 inches "unfinished"

I don't know what the Dear Jane software does. That may have templates with seam allowances already on it.

Okay thank you so very much that is what i thought. I was looking at what other people have done and some are 4 1/2 and some are 5 I just want them all the same size. One other question do you think muslin would be a good back ground fabric or should I just buy regular material?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Power Poster

muslin is great if one gets a good quality muslin -

I think one could use anything one wanted for a background.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:43 AM

muslin is great if one gets a good quality muslin -

I think one could use anything one wanted for a background.
Great thanks I think it's good, I did pay $25.00 for the bolt, which I believe it was on sale.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I would prewash it before using it - as long as you have a bolt of it - do an experiement - cut off a yard of it (overcast the raw edges) - measure it lengthwise and crosswise - wash and dry it like you plan to wash the finished quilt - maybe press it if it's really wrinkled - and measure it again

Muslins vary immensely in quality
Old 07-31-2009, 06:52 AM

I'm using muslin for my background, and I washed it in warm water first.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:57 PM

the paper folding method works!

for all the (excruciating) details - check my section in the PDA
Hello Bear, did you do a commetnary on D-7 at all? Can't seem to find it. Thank you. CarolB
Old 07-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

There's a scan of the blue and tan on on page 4 of my PDA and there is a scan of the tan and brown one on page 6.

I don't think I went into great detail on it, because it was part of a "family" of blocks.