Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Dear Jane - book or DVD?

Dear Jane - book or DVD?

After seeing some of your beautiful Dear Jane quilts I would like to know if you used the book or the DVD? I would like to paper piece the blocks - which of these items would be of better use to me? What are the pros and cons of the book and the DVD? If I could produce a work of art 1/2 as gorgeous as what I've seen here I would be happy!

you can buy a package that includes both. That's what I would do, so you can have options.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

When I did Dear Jane I bought the book and it came with the DVD. Get the DVD because it gives you options to change the size of the block when you print out each block. The blocks are 4.5", but I changed them to 6".

Blog Entries
    i agree on the DVD. i have both and only opened the book once or twice.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Why didn't I think to ask that question? I bought the book but should have gotten the DVD.

Power Poster
    Check to make sure that your computer is compatible with the DVD - last I heard, it was not 'Mac - friendly'

The book does NOT give any info on how to assemble the blocks. There are a couple of pages about choosing and preparing fabrics, but that's about it for 'how'

From what I've seen, the DVD has a better interpretation/representation of some of the blocks.

I would skip the book and DVD entirely and buy the Dear Jane EQ software. It's much more useful. http://electricquilt.com/online-shop/dear-jane/

Senior Member cedarvalleyquilts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Agree with getting the EQ software. I plan to (someday!) paper piece mine, and I will probably change the block size, which will make the software very handy.

Christine

Maybe buy a bundle and get the book, CD, and the EQ.

Power Poster
    I meant to make sure that the EQ software is compatible with your computer - - -

I was going to get it - but then I read the 'fine print' and learned that it probably wouldn't work on my computer.

The upside of all that - I pretended I was Jane - and tried to imagine how she put the blocks together.

Most of the blocks are not conducive to paper piecing because that is what I thought I would do - pp them - Do other Janiacs have an oppion about this? I know that there is a web site were people explain how they made a DJ block - I found that useful.

My daughter and I each did DJ at the same time. We paper pieced every block. Using the DVD we printed out each block onto 8.5" x 11" mailing labels. We cut the blocks apart, stuck the block pieces, which were on sticky labels, onto the fabrics we were using and hand pieced each block. I used all floral fabrics, my daughter used all batiks.

Thank you for all the feedback - I think I will probably go with the software as it seems to give more options. I don't have a Mac so it should be good.

I own both. I used the dvd when I wanted to find alternate blocks. I didn't know how to paper piece back then or I would have certainly done the DJ border that way.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I have both, too. I had the book before the CD came out and used it to piece many of the simpler blocks. The DVD is so hopeful, but I still love to thumb through the book. :-) If it's one or the other, get the CD.
    Laura

I have both, software and book. I use the book as some kind of diary, write the date I finished a block, what kind of weather or other remarkable events of that day.
    Eat, quilt, bike, sleep and repeat

Now that is a clever idea!! I may have to use that idea!