Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dear Jane EQ software

Power Poster

I kind of like the idea of making a "Dear ME" quilt -
    using conventional blocks and making up others as I go along -
    4.5 inches works well for blocks that divide into thirds -
    6 inches would give a lot of flexibility for fairly easy drafting -

It seems reasonable to think that the Dear Jane blocks were hand-pieced.

I am very glad for your comment for now I know I don't want to waste money on the software if it doesn't give the piecing instruction. As for the book someone gave me a copy. Now I know why (I haven't looked through it throughly yet).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Mel
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    does anyone have the Electric Quilt Dear Jane Software?

do you like it? have you used it to help make a DJ?

i just got the DJ book from the library and i'm very underwhelmed by the content.

the book is more like a Day Journal with line drawings - no content on assembly, design, etc.
    Hi Klue: I just bought the software and I feel the same about it as you do the book. It shows fabric sizes need for blocks and 'block tips', but no step by step instruction as to how to piece together. I emailed the company and they responded with what I already knew.

I am very disappointed and would not purchase this had I known that it was lacking in this information. I was actually thinking about purchasing the book, hoping that assembly instructions would be there. Sounds like I won't be doing that either.....

Klue, once you get started on your Dear Jane, I think you will find both the book and the software a necessity (Joann's is where I found the best price on the software).

I use the Dear Jane EQ software to print the paper-piecing patterns, but I use the book more for the pieced and appliqued blocks. The author of the Dear Jane book drafted the blocks to size and gives helpful hints about constructing the blocks, but it's up to each person to decide the best way for them to do each individual block. Dear Jane might be a difficult project for a beginner because designs are not explained in detail; but for a more experienced quilter, it's very interesting and challenging.

Banned
    i don't see how this book is helpful in any way for making a quilt let alone a DJ quilt.

its usless to the beginner or intermediate and the advanced quilter doesn't need the book because i have to draft all the patterns myself anyway.

it's not a "how to" book on either making a quilt or learning a technique.

Power Poster
    i don't see how this book is helpful in any way for making a quilt let alone a DJ quilt.

its usless to the beginner or intermediate and the advanced quilter doesn't need the book because i have to draft all the patterns myself anyway.

it's not a "how to" book on either making a quilt or learning a technique.
    I wonder if it was meant to be a "how to" book - or as you said earlier - sort of a "blog" as she tried to recreate the blocks for herself

Banned
    i agree she never wanted to do a "how to" she wants you to take her class.

if you want to make a DJ you don't need the book at all - the software with its limitations is more useful then the book.

if you want to read the random chatter of this author then buy the book.

I was surprised at the lack of info in the book also. I ended up with the software too. I like the book as a reference for the block and the software for the patterns so I don't have to draw them all out. The software can get very involved-like the EQ6. I just use the patterns and don't deal with the "fabrics" and planning. I'm not very good at following directions so the lack of them isn't a problem for me. I'm just starting -have 6 blocks finished and I started with the "beginners". So far they are all hand pieced but I know I'll give that up and move to the machine soon. There is a small group at our guild that are working on the DJ. They gave themselves 7 years. :wink:

There is a wonderful website that will help you with the construction questions:
    http://thatquilt.blogspot.com/

She has an index on the lower right of each block, which takes you to a brief (but thorough) photo-illustrated blog entry on construction.

Hope that helps!
    Janet

Janet, it's a good site but if people prefer not to use reverse applique, they won't find the assistance they're looking for.

Check out the hints on the original dj site if you need assistance. There are several programs that can guide you through it if you are not able to look at a block & immediately understand how it was constructed...but if you prefer to find some free advice, add yourself to the listserve there. A good number of people who have completed the quilt respond to individuals looking for advice, regardless of skill level.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I am very interested to see what others say, as I have bought the software but haven't had time to try it yet. Thanks for bringing this up.
    Sharon
    The same here , have the book and software but haven't started. 8-)

skothing, it's a great project & regardless of your skill level, you will learn something making it. I've learned A LOT...it's been a really fun year. Now I have to put it all together for this fall and am dragging my feet.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    you all crack me up...the DJ is NOT a hard quilt to make...the blocks are pretty basic...many, many people made them long before the Software came out..and many still are making them with NO software, no tools..just the book!

It is no different than the Farmer's wife book,or the nearly insane, or Jane Austin...they all have NO directions, they are meant for the more experienced quilter I suppose!

as for not being able to make them even with the software..well..how much more instruction do you need? if you know how to paper piece, that is all you need. The pieces are tiny, but pretty self explanatory when it comes to putting "A" with "B"...etc...the ONLY thing I found was that some of the blocks printed off backwards..meaning the right side should have been the back side so when the block was done it was going in the right direction..but that was really minor!

you can join the DJ yahoo group and research their archive where they give FULL details and hints, tips, etc on doing each block and tri...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    i agree she never wanted to do a "how to" she wants you to take her class.

if you want to make a DJ you don't need the book at all - the software with its limitations is more useful then the book.

if you want to read the random chatter of this author then buy the book.
    wow..you really know so little about Brenda and how the DJ got started...Brenda NEVER knew this book would become the international phenomenon that it has become! She wrote the book after falling in love the REAL quilt that is in a museum. The book is more the history of Jane Stickle and not a "how-to" really!

Brenda did not teach classes on the DJ until years after the book was out and QUILTER'S begged her to teach the class.

WE the public of quilter's took the book, made the quilt and started what has become a "cult" as some call it, of quilter's around the world who share the common bond that is a love for this quilt and ALL that one learns from making it!

Perhaps you need to take the book back to the library, it is clear you would not be happy trying to make this quilt!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No it is a stand alone software.
    NO it is not..you have to have EQ5 or newer for it to work!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    No you don't I didn't have any of the EQs but the Dear Jane one and it works just fine

Blog Entries
    it's stand alone. I got it before I had EQ and it works just fine. In fact, it's installed on the desktop computer that doesn't have EQ, still running great.

And the DJ quilt isn't necessarily hard, it's fiddly. I have the book and the software, and the software is better for me for the Paper Piecing templates.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No you don't I didn't have any of the EQs but the Dear Jane one and it works just fine
    you must be talking about a different software and NOT the DJ.

Blog Entries
    http://www.electricquilt.com/shop/dearjane/dj.asp

According to Electric Quilt - it is Stand Alone.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    http://www.electricquilt.com/shop/dearjane/dj.asp

According to Electric Quilt - it is Stand Alone.
    mine won't work without EQ being installed..never has...

I printed all the tips from the DJ site and had them and the book rebound with a spiral at a print shop.

The blocks are outrageously complicated. I just remind myself Jane Stickle did this with nothing more than scissors, needle and thread.

OK, so some of them baffle me at first, but my piecing has greatly improved from trying. They are just plain fun to piece.

It is a stand alone program through EQ. Dear Jane is definitely a learning quilt for most people. Piecing is more difficult working in smaller blocks, regardless of how advanced you are. Standard blocks tend to be 9, 10 & 12 inches or larger in the US....maybe that is not the case in other countries.

Also, many quilters tend to have prefer piecing or applique. Few quilters are advanced in both.

If the Dear Jane quilt were simple, everyone who started one would complete the full quilt. That simply is not the case.

It is a stand alone program through EQ. Dear Jane is definitely a learning quilt for most people. Piecing is more difficult working in smaller blocks, regardless of how advanced you are. Standard blocks tend to be 9, 10 & 12 inches or larger in the US....maybe that is not the case in other countries.

Also, many quilters tend to have prefer piecing or applique. Few quilters are advanced in both.

If the Dear Jane quilt were simple, everyone who started one would complete the full quilt. That simply is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltwoman
    Try the dear jane webstie
    www.dearjane.com
    There are several tips/hints on block assembly.
    HTH
    Thanks for the link! I just bought the Dear Jane software today. sure glad this board keeps old posts!

you can join the DJ yahoo group and research their archive where they give FULL details and hints, tips, etc on doing each block and tri...
    Does this group still exist? There is a long list of groups when I search Yahoo groups.

Blog Entries
    here is the one that started last year and is still working on it , although it is nearing the end - another one is talking about starting at the beginning of the year - you can read the end of the topic and see where they are at

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28063-1.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2