Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Dear Jane , HELP! Please

Unhappy Dear Jane , HELP! Please

I hope someone came help me . I have all center blocks finished....WAHOOOOO. Now it say to add a 1/2 in sashing ,then frame the blocks with 1/4 in all the way around the blocks HUH??????????? It's problably me and my "halfhymers" has kicked in . But I don't understand. Please HELP I'd hate to waste all the work to stupidity. Thank you all in advance. Karen

Blog Entries
    all of the blocks have a 1/2" sashing except around the outside of the entire center. the 1/4" frame is actually the first border. does that make more sense?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I don't know what it means exactly, but I just read this tip about adding 1/2" sashing...they said to make it 1" wide then after it is sewn on cut it back to 1/2" (or 3/4") using a see through ruler and putting the measurement on the seam and cut it. Apparently it is hard to sew 1/2" width straight and this is supposed to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    I don't know what it means exactly, but I just read this tip about adding 1/2" sashing...they said to make it 1" wide then after it is sewn on cut it back to 1/2" (or 3/4") using a see through ruler and putting the measurement on the seam and cut it. Apparently it is hard to sew 1/2" width straight and this is supposed to help.
    I'm still confused .It's me . So am I adding 2 sashinga actually ? why frame after sashing .Are the blocks attached and or in rows ,before shahing/ frameing? I guess I need this step broken down 1 thing at a time . AGH!..........

Blog Entries
    set all the bocks together with 1.5 ich strips. (after sewed togthr, it will measure 1 inch) you will have all the blocks sewn 2gthr, but all around the outside edge, (where you are going to attach the triangles, there won.t be any sashing. )
    this is where you wii sew a 3/4 inch sashing. after the tri's are sewn on, this will be a finished strip measuring 1/4 inch. this is good, only if you stuck to the orginal size of 4.5 entered into the measurement when you got ready to print your blocks. the tri's will fit on the sides wonderfully. i left the paper on my 'kites' until all 4 corners and sides were sewn on.

The blocks the fall at the end of each row will NOT have the 1/2 sashing on the side that will be at the beginning and end of the row - same for the top of row one and the bottom of row 13. When all the rows are put together, then you add the 1/4" framing around the whole top - before adding the triangles. Does this help at all? Just FYI - I did find working with 1/2 strips to acquire 1/4 inch framing hard to work with so did make the framing larger, then cut it down.

OH - and congratulations on completing your blocks. Are you doing the triangles - I found them to be the most fun.

Go to this site and click on DJ Sashing Tips (near the bottom). It will open a file that tells you exactly how to make the sashings.
    http://www.dearjane.com/techniquetips.htm

Thank God! I think I got it. Why didn't they explain it the way sewNos and Norva have .That makes sense , at least to me . Maybe I'm thick . Who knows. Thank you all for you explaination. I know there is no stupid question but I feel dumb. Blessings , Karen
    I did enlarge my blocks by 2in to 6.5in tri's too. Do the tri's have a sashing ?
    Last edited by bsktkeeper; 02-15-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    no, not thick. when we are trying to learn somthg, or explain something, sometimes us thinking so hard about it, gets in the way.---keeo it simple and it helps.
    the only way i got mine done was because of all the nice ladies on this board reading, and intrptg the istrctions for me. my problem is a HUGE type A personality. barge ahead.
    Last edited by sewNso; 02-16-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bsktkeeper View Post
    Thank God! I think I got it. Why didn't they explain it the way sewNos and Norva have .That makes sense , at least to me . Maybe I'm thick . Who knows. Thank you all for you explaination. I know there is no stupid question but I feel dumb. Blessings , Karen
    I did enlarge my blocks by 2in to 6.5in tri's too. Do the tri's have a sashing ?
    bsktkeeper:

How did you do your tri's? I am also doing the 6.5" size and I'm not sure my tri's are the right size. My printer and I aren't speaking right now as I could not figure out how to increase the size to 144%. I fiddled around and I "think" the size I got is the right size but I don't want to make all those tri's to find out they aren't right. Could you measure one of your tri's for me (width and height) so I can make sure they are right.

I am doing the tri's. When I click on "size from quilt", my tri measurements are 5x8. I made a big mistake and made about 6 of them at 4 1/2"

Question

echoemb

since I took my blocks 2in larger I took my tri's 2in larger also logic I guess , to me anyhow. so far it appears they are going to fit together. without ! framing or sashing . Hope this helps and it all fits together. tri is 6.5x10.5 /blocks are6.5x6.5 when you go to prink a print box comes up and has measurements in it .click on dimentions/sixe and up it to 6.5x10.5. that is what I did . Please let me know if I'm rite.------- Anyone. ----- I've only made 2 tri's so far.
    Last edited by bsktkeeper; 02-16-2012 at 07:43 AM.