Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about sending quilts out for quilting >

Question about sending quilts out for quilting

Question about sending quilts out for quilting

Old 02-15-2012, 12:06 PM

Default Question about sending quilts out for quilting

I finished my first "real" quilt a couple of months ago--up till now I have only done very simple lap-type quilts, which we make and distribute to shut-ins, nursing homes, etc. through our church group. These are just tied quilts. ANYWAY, I did a regular quilt--it was a Joann BOM thing--for my daughter, and took it to someone to do the actual quilting. She was recommended by a friend who's used her many times, so I know it will be a good job. I took it to her four weeks ago yesterday, and she told me it would be done in four weeks.

I also took her a wall hanging I made many years ago--I hand-pieced it, it was nine sampler squares. She's going to do that one for me, too, and then I want to hang it in my NEW wonderful sewing room....I'm excited to see that all done, since it's sat in a box for about five years!

I guess my question is how long do I wait before I call her to see if it's done, or should I NOT call her, and just wait for her to call me? She told me she'd call when it's ready, so I don't want to 'nag' her...on the other hand I can hardly wait to see it all finished!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

I think I would give her 2 more weeks and mark that date on my calender. If I hadn't heard from her by that date, I would call and ask on my quilts progress.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM

I would go ahead and call.. being a long-armer myself .. I wouldn't get offended by the call. Life happens .. even to long-armers.... Checking in is not a bad thing. Make the call instead of speculating or guessing. You are not nagging.. 4 weeks is 4 weeks. MAKE THE CALL
Old 02-15-2012, 12:45 PM

Since it's already been the 4 weeks, call and ask for progress.....there could be any number of issues delaying the finish, some of which may require your input.....I wouldn't consider it nagging at all.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:45 PM

I'd probably call anytime now. It's been the 4 weeks she told you. I would tell her how I excited I was and just wondering how the longarming was coming along.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I am also a LAer and would not in any way consider you a nag to call. By all means call to see what is up.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

Call! A longarmer who is irritated by a simple phone call wouldn't stay in the business long. She will be glad to hear from you.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:42 AM

AS a long arm quilter, I would make the call. I agree, 4 weeks is 4 weeks! sometimes we quilters get distracted and a phone call will help put us back on track. Just be friendly and not demanding.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 AM

I would call and check in on her and see how she is doing and then ask about how the quilts were coming along. She might be glad to hear from you. You never know, she may have them ready!!! Keep us updated.