Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: dear Jane help

Yeah.. I received my software last night. There is a Ton of information on it.. It seems to be pretty easy to use... Now I just need to decide on the colors.. I just spent an hour in the fabric store had about 10 bolts in my cart trying to decide which to use and my dh called and ask when my lunch break was over...
    LOL I had to fly back to work... anyway now I have to start again . I knew going on lunch would not be a good idea.

Blog Entries
    I'm still struggling re: colors as well. I was considering kona solids to stress the piecing.
    I'm also drawn to batiks but don't want to copycat tealfalcon. That said, I'm wondering if I *did* do batiks, what would I use for the base color? Curious to know what you're thinking on that topic, tealfalcon?

And if I do a batik, I was thinking of keeping it to one color family. Maybe.

As you can tell, still not certain...

-- Jillaine

I am doing a pale cream batik for backgrounds....and a mix of teal and purple and blue Batiks....maybe some green and pink also.....copy away no worries

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I bought my stuff back in 2000, I have 3 blocks done!

I also have an extra book and set of the rulers cuz I thought I had lost mine in our move!

I still want to do this quilt, just too many irons in the sewing room fire these days!

They will be beautiful no matter what... anyway.. I think I am going to do Deep Rose/ Pinks and dark chocolate... I am going to call it Cherry Chocolate. At least that is what I was thinking today... I was hooked on doing mine in browns and tans until I started playing with the cd last night... And I love deep rose and cranberry colors also... maybe it is a good thing I had to hurry back to work today.

this is definalty the hardest color scheme decision I have made. I think because I know it is going to be hours and hours and hours of work.... and also I am making this one for me... all the others I make for others.. not that the others arnt nice it just seems like this one is more special.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I still want to do this quilt, just too many irons in the sewing room fire these days!
    Jacquie, how about committing to doing one block a month? It would be nice to have another in the group.

I am sadly still waiting for my book to arrive! :(

I would like to join you in making the Dear Jane Quilt. I bought the quilt as a Block of the Month from Stitchin Heaven. I am terrible at picking colors, so they did all the work for me. I have the fabric, the book, the software and the rulers and am just waiting for some other brave souls to tackle this project. I have so many questions, but count me in.Email me when you want to start. How many blocks a week should we shoot for? I'm working on something else right now, but am willing to start Jane.

Ok. I got book and templates and am now so intimidated! Im game, just wow..let me know when we are going to do this. Can you tell I'm nervous? lol

Blog Entries
    tealfalcon,

do you think you could "coordinate" us? (I'll help!)

Since we're doing this outside of the normal (paid$$) version of this process, we have to organize ourselves.

Seems like the most obvious steps are (I'm making this up as I type):

1. Identify/create a list of those people who want to participate.
    2. Create and post a schedule OR request that each participant share their own schedule for how they want to make progress-- some may be able to do five blocks a week; others only one, for example.
    3. Create a list of things each participant needs to accomplish, initially, including:
    -- get the book
    -- choose a color plan
    -- purchase and/or otherwise collect your fabric
    -- start your first block

Use the following as a resource to help you with each block:

http://thatquilt.blogspot.com/

Other thoughts?

Blog Entries
    That looks way too hard for me. Wondering what size the blocks are. I'll watch for your progress reports. Beautiful quilt

That's a great idea!! Perhaps we could share what we have made weekly or monthly, depending on the schedule.

The blocks finished are 4 1/2 inches. Some of the diamonds on the quilt forming the borders have 72 pices in them. So paper piecing is a must on some of these blocks and that's where I will need help. I think I will hand piece mine. When I got my Blocks of the Month thru Stitchin Heaven,they came in packages with which blocks to do. They are not done in a secquence like 1 thru 221. I think the quilt has 221 blocks in it. But this weekend I will look thru my book and the software and let you know what I find out. And I think we need a name for the group too.

I want in too. I started Jane last year with the other group in the block of the month section when I was stationed in Germany. Sadly I made it through four weeks of blocks ( I have 17 done and four triangles). Then I packed up the house, move to OK and quit working on her. There was a block swap this past year and I joined that to get going again. Well I made the blocks I signed up for and haven't did anything with those yet. So I need some motivation to finish her up. Mine is in whites and 1930 repros.

I originally started this quilt about 8 years ago in Civil War repro prints in the colors of the quilt. That was definitely put aside. Then I started one in brown and muslin about 2 years ago then put it aside to work on other quilts. If we only have to commit to 1 block a month, I'll join in. I can't do the 1 block a week schedule due to other commitments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2