Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dear Jane help

i have the book to make the dear jane quilt i have had it for years.....i really really want to start this quilt and just do a few blocks at a time....i am wondering if anyone wants to start this at the same time as me so i have someone to work with....i saw one done on here in brights and white....i am thinking i am going to do all batiks on mine....combining old and new. i just really want someone to work along side me or someone to help being my cheering team bc this is gonna be a huge undertaking for me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tealfalcon
    i have the book to make the dear jane quilt i have had it for years.....i really really want to start this quilt and just do a few blocks at a time....i am wondering if anyone wants to start this at the same time as me so i have someone to work with....i saw one done on here in brights and white....i am thinking i am going to do all batiks on mine....combining old and new. i just really want someone to work along side me or someone to help being my cheering team bc this is gonna be a huge undertaking for me lol.
    This is one I would like to do as well, but I don't have the instructions...any advice? I don't live in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin
    Quote Originally Posted by tealfalcon
    This is one I would like to do as well, but I don't have the instructions...any advice? I don't live in the US.

can your order the book online maybe?

Blog Entries
    tealfalcon,

I've recently ordered this book as I, too, would like to make this quilt. I'll happily partner up with you. I haven't received the book yet; should arrive any day. I haven't decided what color scheme I want to do yet, though.

Anyone else?

-- Jillaine
    email:
    jillainedc
    at
    yahoo
    dot
    com

Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    tealfalcon,

I've recently ordered this book as I, too, would like to make this quilt. I'll happily partner up with you. I haven't received the book yet; should arrive any day. I haven't decided what color scheme I want to do yet, though.

Anyone else?

-- Jillaine
    email:
    jillainedc
    at
    yahoo
    dot
    com

yahooo....ok well just let me know when you want to start....

Blog Entries
    i'll let you know as soon as the book arrives. (I'm hoping today!)

Blog Entries
    book arrived... now I need to decide colors, including background. tealfalcon (do you have a name?), you said you wanted to use batiks. what about the background?

I've collected a number of examples; I find myself attracted to a limited palette of colors. Then again, I also feel drawn to doing something with all those scraps I have...

This is going to be a doozy of a project.

Blog Entries
    I'm still working on mine. :) I'll join in with you girls if you'd like. I have 50 something blocks done (have to update my signature) and I have 2 done for a Christmas Jane.. so that can be my work along with you quilt!

It does go faster than you'd think, I promise!

I just ordered the book, waiting for it to come. will let you know when it arrives!

Gosh I also want to start one too, but I'm really scared. I've been quilting for only a few years. I'm scared I actually could not make some of those blocks. Here's a question for you guys...are you all really "seasoned" quilters? I mean would it be impossible for a "novice"?

Blog Entries
    tortoisethreads - think of it this way - it's a learning experience. You can always remake a block if you don't like it! And if you think you're a "novice" by the time you finish, you'll be an "expert" :)

It's a journey about the process. I've grown a lot with what I've done so far. You can make one block, or all. Just try - you'll never know until you try!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I want to make one too!
    Where did ya'll get your books?

Blog Entries
    I got mine from the dear Jane site. http://www.dearjane.com

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Do I need to order the templates too??

Blog Entries
    I would suggest the CD. So far I haven't needed the 4.5 ruler but I did use the triangle one.

Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    Gosh I also want to start one too, but I'm really scared. I've been quilting for only a few years. I'm scared I actually could not make some of those blocks. Here's a question for you guys...are you all really "seasoned" quilters? I mean would it be impossible for a "novice"?
    This forum has a whole section devoted to this quilt (not sure if you knew about it)....check it out:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1009
    There is lots of help you can glean by reading through the threads and also get some good ideas of which colors you might like for your quilt. I saw the white and bright one and thought it was fabulous. I also loved the "chocolate Jane" that I saw (Sandpat made that one I think) It was so-o-o-o beautiful.

Yay I am so happy that others are joining me....I might start a block or 2 today ....I don't have the cd so we shall see how it goes

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think I will wait awhile on this although I want to make one eventually.
    I already have too many projects already started.
    I look forward to seeing all of ya'll's pictures of yours though.

I have wanted to make this quilt ever since I saw it.
    My Dear friend just bought the cd for me for my birthday.
    Yeah...... I have not received it yet but I am so excited.
    I will also start it with you. I have been thinking about my color scheme. I think I am going to do mine in reproduction brown fabrics.. I am so overwhelmed with the selection I dont know how I am ever going to start.

I am Not a seasoned quilter. I quilted a few years ago and it did not go well. I recently started again and I am loving it. I had a dear friend that was so generous she bought me the software. I have not received it yet but cant wait. I really enjoy paper peicing so I think I will do most of the blocks that way. I am scared of the applique because I am really really bad at it.. LOL I just threw away my last 2 projects. I say Go for It. that is how I feel about the applique on this quilt. I think that is the only way I will learn. Good Luck and I hope you start to.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    This forum has a whole section devoted to this quilt (not sure if you knew about it)....check it out:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1009
    There is lots of help you can glean by reading through the threads and also get some good ideas of which colors you might like for your quilt. I saw the white and bright one and thought it was fabulous. I also loved the "chocolate Jane" that I saw (Sandpat made that one I think) It was so-o-o-o beautiful.

Oh my.. I loooved the chocolat Jane also... I completly agree.. It was Stunning.

Blog Entries
    I don't have the CD either-- too pricey for my current budget-- so will be tracing my templates manually onto freezer paper, directly from the book.

This is also my introduction to paper piecing. Yeah, I know: I frequently bite off more than I can chew.

Spent this morning reviewing online tutorials for paper piecing and reviewing color choices. While I'd love to jump in, I want to really think through my color choices.

I'm considering Kaufmann's Kona solids in deep rich tones. But if so, I need to decide what will be my background.

So another first for me: PLANNING a quilt before purchasing fabric. heh heh.

Hey... should we move this over to the Dear Jane board now, and create a name for our little group? Little Jane Group?

Batiks would look really pretty, however, a number of the Dear Jane blocks are appliqued and I am wondering how well batiks would work for that purpose as they are a little more stiff and difficult to work with for applique, it seems. Maybe you could test with one block before committing to the idea by buying fabrics for the whole quilt? Just a thought. Pat

If you go to DearJane.com there are block tips for all the blocks. I was told to get the CD, but I only got the book and refer to the Dear Jane Site. I have about 40 blocks done, and put it away to work on some other projects. I will get back to it eventually, but have other pressing quilts to finish. For justflyingin check the site and see if you can do it without the book, since I'm sure the shipping will be expensive. Otherwise try eBay or Amazon. Good luck, it is an expansive preject and you will be proud of yourself when you finish.
    Sue

Yes we need a name for our little group.....main janes? Since we kinda formed here in the main section ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast